An analytical investigation has been presented of Au nano- coated dielectric optical fibers. The propagation constants of different transverse TE and hybrid EH modes are obtained corresponding to varying nano-coating thickness. It has been observed that the Au-layer has its profound effect on the number of propagating modes in the fiber, and the number of sustained modes is much reduced with the increase in Au-layer thickness. For the sake of comparative investigation, the modal behavior of three-layer dielectric fibers is also taken into account together with the Au nano-coated four-layer fiber. It is reported that the Au-layer has the effect of mode proliferation with simultaneous reduction in their propagation constant values.
2. Ono, K. and H. Osawa, "Excitation characteristics of fundamental mode in tapered slab waveguides with nonlinear cladding," Electron. Lett., Vol. 27, 664-666, 1991.
3. Choudhury, P. K. and O. N. Singh, "Some multilayered and other unconventional lightguides," Electromagnetic Fields in Unconventional Materials and Structures, Chapt. 8, John Wiley and Sons, New York, 2000.
4. Choudhury, P. K. and T. Yoshino, "TE and TM modes power transmission through liquid crystal optical fibers," Optik, Vol. 115, 49-56, 2004.
5. Nair, A. and P.K. Choudhury, "On the analysis of field patterns in chirofibers," J. Electromag. Waves and Appl., Vol. 21, 2277-2286, 2007.
6. Ibrahim, A.B. M. A. and P. K. Choudhury, "Relative power distributions in omniguiding photonic band-gap fibers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 72, 269-278, 2007.
7. Cheng, Q. and T. J. Cui, "Guided modes and continuous modes in parallel-plate waveguides excited by a line source," J. Electromag. Waves and Appl., Vol. 21, 1577-1587, 2007.
8. Mei, Z. L. and F. Y. Xu, "A simple, fast and accurate method for calculating cutoff wavelengths for the dominant mode in elliptical waveguide," J. Electromag. Waves and Appl., Vol. 21, 367-374, 2007.
9. Kumar, D., P. K. Choudhury, and F. A. Rahman, "Towards the characteristic dispersion relation for step-index hyperbolic waveguide with conducting helical winding," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 71, 251-275, 2007.
10. Kumar, D., P. K. Choudhury, and O. N. Singh II, "Towards the dispersion relations for dielectric optical fibers with helical windings under slow- and fast-wave considerations --- A comparative analysis," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 80, 409-420, 2008.
11. Kawakami, S. and S. Nishida, "Characteristics of a doubly clad optical fiber with a low index inner cladding," IEEE J. Quantum Electron., Vol. 10, 879-887, 1974.
12. Borland, W. C., D. E. Zelmon, C. J. Radens, J. T. Boyd, and H. E. Jackson, "Properties of four-layer planar optical waveguides near cutoff," IEEE J. Quantum Electron., Vol. 23, 1172-1179, 1978.
13. Chaubey, V. K., K. K. Dey, S. P. Ojha, and P. Khastgir, "Modal characteristics of a doubly clad step-index fiber: A general analytical study," Can. J. Phys., Vol. 66, 796-802, 1988.
14. Choudhury, P. K. and R. A. Lessard, "An estimation of power transmission through a doubly clad optical fiber with annular core," Microw. and Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 29, 402-405, 2001.
15. Takeo, T. and H. Hattori, "Opical fiber sensor for measuring refractive index," Jpn. J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 21, 1509-1512, 1982.
16. Paul, P. H. and G. Kychakoff, "Fiber-optic evanescent field absorption sensor," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 51, 12-14, 1987.
17. Messica, A., A. Greenstein, and A. Katzir, "Theory of fiber-optic evanescent-wave spectroscopy and sensors," Appl. Opt., Vol. 35, 2274-2284, 1996.
18. Choudhury, P. K. and O. N. Singh, "An overview of optical sensors and their applications," Frontiers in Optical Technology: Materials and Devices, Chapt. 9, Nova Science Publisher, New York, 2007.
19. Suyama, T., Y. Okuno, A. Matsushima, and M. Ohtsu, "A numerical analysis of stop band characteristics by multilayered dielectric gratings with sinusoidal profile," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 2, 83-102, 2008.
20. Cheng, S. F. and L. K. Chau, "Colloidal gold-modified optical fiber for chemical and biochemical sensing," Anal. Chem., Vol. 75, 16-21, 2003.
21. Sharma, A. K., R. Jha, and B. D. Gupta, "Fiber-optic sensors based on surface plasmon resonance: A comprehensive review," IEEE Sensors J., Vol. 7, 1118-1129, 2007.
22. Lee, C.C. and S. Chi, "Measurement of stimulated-Brillouin-scattering threshold for various types of fibers using Brillouin optical-time-domain reflectometer," IEEE Phot. Technol. Lett., Vol. 12, 672-674, 2000.
23. Lee, C.C., P.W. Chiang, and S. Chi, "Utilization of a dispersion-shifted fiber for simultaneous measurement of distributed strain and temperature through Brillouin frequency shift," IEEE Phot. Technol. Lett., Vol. 13, 1094-1096, 2001.
24. Zou, W., Z. He, M. Kishi, and K. Hotate, "Stimulated Brillouin scattering and its dependences on temperature and strain in a high-delta optical fiber with F-doped depressed inner cladding," Opt. Lett., Vol. 32, 600-602, 2007.
25. Sjoberg, D., "Determination of propagation constants and material data from waveguide measurements," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 12, 163-182, 2009.
26. Abramowitz, M. and I. A. Stegun, Handbook of Mathematical Functions, Chap. 9, Dover Publications, Inc., New York, 1965.
27. Keiser, G., Optical Fiber Communications, Chap. 2, McGraw-Hill, Singapore, 1986.