A system level integration of simulation methods for high data-rate transmission circuit design applications is developed in this paper. While the elementary circuit theory was responsible for designing the circuits to meet the required performance specifications, three dimensional full-wave electromagnetic simulation technique was adopted to characterize the off-chip parasitic effects induce from the packages. The developed technique was applied for the design of optical Pick-Up Head (PUH) driver circuitry and a data transmission rate up to 640Mega bits per second (Mb/s) was achieved with standard 0.35 μm CMOS technology, showing the promising feature of applying such technique in successful design for high data-rate transmission circuits.
2. Boni, A., A. Pierazzi, and D. Vecchi, "LVDS I/O interface for Gb/s-per-pin operation in 0.35-μm CMOS," IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 36, No. 4, 706-711, Apr. 2001.
3. IEEE Standard for Low-Voltage Differential Signaling (LVDS) for Scalable Coherent Interface (SCI), 1596.3 SCI-LVDS Standard, IEEE Std 1596.3–1996, 1996.
4. Electrical Characteristics of Low-voltage Differential Signaling (LVDS) Interface Circuits, TIA/EIA-644, National Semiconductor Corp., ANSI/TIA/EIA, 1996.
5. Wang, Y., J. Li, and L. X. Ran, "An equivalent circuit modeling method for ultra-wideband antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 82, 433-445, 2008.
6. Eshrah, I. A., A. A. Kishk, A. B. Yakovlev, and A. W. Glisson, "Generalized equivalent circuit model for transverse waveguide slots and applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 69, 1-20, 2007.
7. Zheng, H. X., X.-Q. Sheng, and E. K. N. Yung, "Computation of scattering from conducting bodies coated with chiral materials using conformal FDTD," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 18, No. 11, 1761-1774, 2004.
8. Chen, X., D. Liang, and K. Huang, "Microwave imaging 3-D buried objects using parallel genetic algorithm combined with FDTD technique," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 13, 1471-1484, 2006.
9. Yang, Z. Q., T. Yang, Y. Liu, and S. H. Han, "MIM capacitor modeling by support vector regression," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 1, 61-67, 2008.
10. Xu, Y. H., Y. C. Guo, R. M. Xu, B. Yan, L. Xia, and Y. Q. Wu, "Modeling of SIC MESFETs by using support vector regression," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 11, 1489-1498, 2008.
11. Mohammadi, F. A. and M. C. E. Yagoub, "Electromagnetic model for microwave components of integrated circuits," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 1, 81-94, 2008.
12. Hu, X. J. and D. B. Ge, "Time domain analysis of active tranmission line using FDTD technique," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 79, 305-319, 2008.
13. Xiao, S., B. Z. Wang, P. Du, and Z. Shao, "An enhanced FDTD model for complex lumped circuits," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 76, 485-495, 2007.
14. Kung, F. and H. T. Chuah, "A finite-difference time-domain (FDTD) software for simulation of printed circuit board (PCB) assembly," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 50, 299-335, 2005.
15. Young, J. L. and R. Adams, "Excitation and detection of waves in the FDTD analysis of N-port networks," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 53, 249-269, 2005.
16. Chen, Z. H. and Q. Chu, "FDTD modeling of arbitrary linear lumped networks using piecewise linear recursive convolution technique," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 73, 327-341, 2007.
17. Bernardi, P., R. Cicchetti, G. Pelosi, A. Reatti, S. Selleri, and M. Tatini, "An equivalent circuit for EMI prediction in printed circuit boards featuring a straight-to-bent microstrip line coupling," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 5, 107-118, 2008.
18. Sabri, M. M., J. Rashed-Mohassel, and N. Masoumi, "Application of FDTD-based macromodeling for signal integrity analysis in practical PCBs," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 5, 45-55, 2008.
19. Chou, H. T. and H. T. Hsu, "Hybridization of simulation codes based on numerical high and low frequency techniques for the and complex structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 78,173-187, 2008.
20. CST 2008 User's Manual, www.cst.com.
21. Cangellaris, A. C., S. Pasha, J. L. Prince, and M. Celik, "A new discrete transmission line model for passive model order reduction and macromodeling of high-speed interconnections," IEEE Transactions on Advanced Packaging, Vol. 22, No. 3, 356-364, Aug. 1999.