This paper presents a novel method to enhance the pattern characteristics of the TEM horn antenna for 2-14 GHz frequency band. The conventional TEM horn antenna introduces some fluctuations in the main lobe radiation pattern over the higher frequencies, i.e., 10-14 GHz. This motivated us to propose a new method to remove the aforementioned impact by carving an arc shape to the open end of exponentially tapered plates. The associated curvature of this arc is optimized to completely remove the aforementioned fluctuation. The measurement results show that the improved TEM horn antenna structure exhibits low VSWR as well as good radiation pattern over 2-14 GHz frequency band.
2. Mallahzadeh, A. R., A. A. Dastranj, and H. R. Hassani, "A novel dual-polarized double-ridged horn antenna for wideband applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 1, 67-80, 2008.
3. Abbas-Azimi, M., F. Arazm, J. Rashed-Mohassel, and R. Faraji-Dana, "Design and optimization of a new 1-18 GHz double ridged guide horn antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 4, 501-516, 2007.
4. Joardar, S. and A. B. Bhattacharya, "A novel method for testing ultra wideband antenna-feeds on radio telescope dish antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 81, 41-59, 2008.
5. Atteia, G. E., A. A. Shaalan, and K. A. Hussein, "Wideband partially-covered bowtie antenna for ground-penetrating-radars," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 71, 211-226, 2007.
6. Uduwawala, D., "Modeling and investigation of planar parabolic dipoles for GPR applications: A comparison with bow-tie using FTDT," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 2, 227-236, 2006.
7. Kolokotronis, D. A., Y. Huang, and J. T. Zhang, "Design of TEM horn antennas for impulse radar," IEEE High Frequency Postgraduate Student Colloquium, 120-126, September 17, 1999.
8. Johnk, R. T., D. R. Novotny, C. M. Weil, M. Taylor, and T. J. Hara, "Efficient and accurate testing of an EMC compliance chamber using an ultra wideband measurement system," IEEE International Symposium on EMC, Vol. 1, 302-307, August 2001.
9. Shlager, K. L., G. S. Smith, and J. G. Maloney, "Accurate analysis of TEM horn antennas for pulse radiation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 38, No. 3, August 1996.
10. Nakhkash, M. and Y. Huang, "Directive wideband TEM horn antenna for precise free-space measurements," Conference on Precision Electromagnetic Measurements, 140-141, 2002.
11. Turk, A. S., "Ultra wideband TEM horn design for ground penetrating impulse radar system," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 41, No. 5, 333-336, June 2004.
12. Wang, J., C. Tian, G. Luo, Y. Chen, and D. Ge, "Four-element TEM horn array for radiating ultra-wideband electromagnetic pulses," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 31, No. 3, 190-194, Nov. 2001.
13. Miller, E. K., Time-domain Measurements in Electromagnetics, Springer, 1986.
14. Kanda, M., "The effects of resistive loading of "TEM" horns," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 24, No. 2, 246-255, May 1982.
15. Shlager, K. L., G. S. Smith, and J. G. Maloney, "TEM horn antenna for pulse radiation: An improved design," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 12, No. 2, 86-90, June 1996.
16. Chung, K. H., S. H. Pyun, and J. H. Choi, "The design of a wideband TEM horn antenna with a microstrip-type Balun," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 2, 1899-1902, 2004.
17. Lee, S. and H. Choi, "Design of an exponentially tapered TEM horn antenna for the wide broadband communication," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 40, No. 6, 531-534, March 2004.
18. Malherbe, J. A. G., "Extreme performance TEM horn," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 50, No. 8, 2121-2125, August 2008.
19. Malherbe, J. A. G. and N. Barnes, "TEM horn antenna with an elliptic profile," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 49, No. 7, 1548-1551, July 2007.
20. Bassam, S. and J. Rashed-Mohassel, "A chebyshev tapered TEM horn antenna," PIRES Online, Vol. 2, No. 6, 706-709, 2006.
21. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 2nd Ed., John Wiley & Sons Inc., 1998.
22. Microwave Studio User's Manual, Release 2008.03, , CST Software, Inc., 2004.