This paper propose a new multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) signal processing scheme that combines optimum transmit and receive beamforming with the Alamouti space-time block code (STBC) transmission and modifies the decoding process. The scheme uses double antenna array groups to achieve stable performance regardless of direction of arrived (DOA) and angular spread (AS). In a multiuser MIMO communications scenario, the beamforming suppresses co-channel interference (CCI) by maximizing the uplink signal-to-noise-plus-interference-ratio (SINR) and suppress CCI independently while preserving orthogonality of the MIMO channel. It is shown that the beamforming process provides array gain by increasing the bit-error-rate (BER) performance and maximizes the available uplink channel capacity for each user in the presence of CCI.
2. Zhu, F. and M. S. Lim, "Combined beamforming with space-time block coding using double antenna array group," Electronics Letters, Vol. 40, 811-813, 2004.
3. Wang, L. L., et al., "Combined beamforming and space-time block coding for wireless communication," Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications, Vol. 1, 607-611, 2003.
4. Rim, M., "Multi-user downlink beamforming with multiple transmit and receive antennas," Electron. Lett., Vol. 38, No. 5, 1725-1726, 2002.
5. Dighe, P. A., R. K. Mallik, and S. S. Jamuar, "Analysis of K-transmit dual-receive diversity with cochannel interference over a Rayleigh fading channel," Wireless Personal Commun., Vol. 25, No. 2, 87-100, 2003.
6. Li, H., X. Lu, and G. B. Giannakis, "Capon multiuser receiver for CDMA systems with space-time coding," IEEE Trans. Sig. Proc., Vol. 50, No. 5, 1193-1204, 2002.
7. Dessouky, M., H. A. Sharshar, and Y. A. Albagory, "A novel tapered beamforming widow for uniform concentric circular arrays," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 14, 2077-2089, 2006.
8. Joardar, S. and A. B. Bhattacharya, "Algorithms for categorical analysis of interference in low frequency radio astronomy," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 4, 441-456, 2007.
9. Lee, K. C. and J. S. Ou, "Radar target recognition by using linear discriminant algorithm on angular-diversity RCS," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 4, 2033-2048, 2007.
10. Cao, X. Y. and J. Gao, "The singularity problem at the wire/surface junction region for antenna and arrays with bodies of revolution," Progress In Electromagnetic Research B, Vol. 10, 117-130, 2008.
11. Panagopoulos, A. D., "Uplink co-channel and co-polar interference statistical distribution between adjacent broadband satellite networks," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 10, 177-189, 2008.
12. Yang, S., Q. Z. Liu, J. Yuan, and S. G. Zhou, "Fast and optimal design of a K-band transmit-receive active antenna array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 9, 281-299, 2008.
13. Alamouti, S. M., "A simple transmit diversity technique for wireless communications," IEEE J. Set. Areas Commun., Vol. 16, No. 8, 1451-1458, 1998.
14. Foschini, G. J. and M. J. Gans, "On limits of wireless communications in a fading environment with using multiple antennas," Wireless Personal Commun., Vol. 6, No. 3, 311-335, 1998.
15. Telatar, E., "Capacity of multi-antenna Gaussian channels," European Trans. on Telecommunications, Vol. 10, No. 6, 589-595, 1999.
16. Horn, R. A. and C. R. Johnson, Matrix Analysis, Cambridge University Press, 1985.
17. Shim, S., K. Kim, and C. Lee, "An efficient antenna shuffling scheme of a SDTTD system," IEEE Commun. Lett., Vol. 9, No. 2, 2005.
18. Shiu, D., G. J. Foschini, M. J. Gans, and J. M. Kahn, "Fading correlation and its effect on the capacity of multielement antenna systems," IEEE Trans. Commun., Vol. 48, 2000.
19. Mestre, X., J. R. Fonollosa, and A. Pages-Zamora, "Capacity of MIMO channels: Asymptotic evaluation under correlated fading," IEEE J. Sel. Areas Commun., Vol. 21, No. 5, 2003.
20. Golub, G. H. and C. F. Van Loan, Matrix Computations, 395-400, Johns Hopkins, 1996.