In this paper, an extremely fast technique is introduced to evaluate the shielding effectiveness of a rectangular enclosure of finite wall thickness and numerous square or circular small apertures subject to a normally incident plane wave. The technique is based on the traditional waveguide circuit model where the enclosure is replaced with an equivalent shorted transmission line. In the proposed circuit model, the perforated thick wall is represented by an equivalent impedance which is derived from the reflection coefficient. The computation results are in very good agreement with measurements. Additionally, further results are compared to a generalized modal MoM technique which are in excellent agreement as the number of apertures increase. Besides accuracy, the method is extremely efficient and easy to implement compared to the numerical techniques.
2. Dehkhoda, P., A. Tavakoli, and R. Moini, "An efficient and reliable shielding effectiveness evaluation of a rectangular enclosure with numerous apertures," IEEE Trans. Electromag. Compat., Vol. 50, No. 1, 208-212, Feb. 2008.
3. Bahadorzadeh, M. and M. N. Moghaddasi, "Improving the shielding effectiveness of a rectangular metallic enclosure with aperture by using extra shielding wall," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 1, 45-50, 2008.
4. Yla-Oijala, P., M. Taskinen, and J. Sarvas, "Surface integral equation method for general composite metallic and dielectric structures with junctions," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 52, 81-108, 2005.
5. Matsushima, A., Y. Nakamura, and S. Tomino, "Application of integral equation method to metal-plate lens structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 54, 245-262, 2005.
6. Nie, X. C. and N. Yuan, "Accurate modeling of monopole antennas in shielded enclosures with apertures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 251-262, 2008.
7. Wei, X. C., E. P. Li, and C. H. Liang, "Fast solution for large scale electromagnetic scattering problems using wavelet transform and its precondition," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 38, 253-267, 2002.
8. Edrisi, M. and A. Khodabakhshian, "Simple methodology for electric and magnetic shielding effectiveness computation of enclosures for electromagnetic compatibility use," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 8, 1051-1060, 2006.
9. Ojeda, X. and L. Pichon, "Combining the finite element method and Pade approximation for scattering analysis application to radiated electromagnetic compatibility problems," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 19, No. 10, 1375-1390, 2005.
10. Lei, J. Z., C. H. Liang, and Y. Zhang, "Study on shielding effectiveness of metallic cavities with apertures by combining parallel FDTD method with windowing technique," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 74, 82-112, 2007.
11. Barkeshli, K. and J. L. Volakis, "Scattering from narrow grooves and slits," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 6, No. 1–4, 459-474, 1992.
12. Robertson, J., E. A. Parker, B. Sanz-Izquierdo, and J. C. Batchelor, "Electromagnetic coupling through arbitrary apertures in parallel conducting planes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 8, 29-42, 2008.
13. Jiao, C., X. Cui, L. Li, and H. Li, "Subcell FDTD analysis of shielding effectiveness of a thin-walled enclosure with an aperture," IEEE Trans. Magnetics, Vol. 42, No. 4, 1075-1078, Apr. 2006.
14. Edelvik, F. and T. Weiland, "Stable modeling of arbitrarily oriented thin slots in the FDTD method," IEEE Trans. Electromag. Compat., Vol. 47, No. 3, 440-446, Aug. 2005.
15. Wang, J. and W. J. Koh, "Electromagnetic coupling analysis of transient signal through slots or apertures perforated in a shielding metallic enclosure using FDTD methodology," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 36, 247-264, 2002.
16. Paul, J., V. Podlozny, and C. Christopoulos, "The use of digital filtering techniques for the simulation of fine features in EMC problems solved in the time domain," IEEE Trans. Electromag. Compat., Vol. 45, No. 2, 238-244, May 2003.
17. Podlozny, V., C. Christopoulos, and J. Paul, "Efficient description of fine features using digital filters in time-domain computational electromagnetics," IEE Proceedings — Science, Measurement and Technology, Vol. 149, No. 5, 254-257, Sept. 2002.
18. Park, H. H. and H. J. Eom, "Electromagnetic penetration into a rectangular cavity with multiple rectangular apertures in a conducting plane," IEEE Trans. Electromag. Compat., Vol. 42, No. 3, 303-307, Aug. 2000.
19. Chen, C. C., "Transmission of microwave through perforated flat plates of finite thickness," IEEE Trans. Microwave. Theory Tech., Vol. 21, No. 1, 1-6, Jan. 1973.
20. Belokour, I., J. LoVetri, and S. Kashyap, "A higher-order mode transmission line model of the shielding effectiveness of enclosures with apertures," IEEE Int. Symp. Electromag. Compat., 702-707, Aug. 13–17, 2001.
21. Shim, J. J., D. G. Kam, J. H. Kwon, H. D. Choi, and J. Kim, "Circuital approach to evaluate shielding effectiveness of rectangular enclosures with apertures on multiple sides," EMC Europe 2004, Int. Symp. Electromag. Compat., Eindhoven, The Netherlands, Sept. 6–10, 2004.
22. Dan, S., S. Yuanmao, and Y. Gao, "3 high-order mode transmission line model of enclosure with off-center aperture," IEEE Int. Symp. Electromag. Compat., 361-364, 2007.
23. http://techreports.larc.nasa.gov/ltrs/PDF/2000/cr/NASA-2000-cr210 297.pdf, July 2006.
24. Dehkhoda, P., A. Tavakoli, and R. Moini, "Shielding effectiveness of a rectangular enclosure with finite wall thickness and rectangular apertures by the generalized modal MoM," IET Science, Measurement and Technology.