This paper presents a novel resistively loaded antenna design for microwave breast cancer detection. The antenna is planar and ultra-compact,and can be easily manufactured using PCB technology with embedded thin-film resistive layers. Through numerical simulations,the antenna demonstrates a return loss below -10 dB over a wide frequency range from 2 to 35 GHz. For pulse radiation in the ultra-wideband (UWB) range in a biological medium, the antenna shows an excellent fidelity above 0.95 and a relatively high radiation efficiency of 39.21% in comparison to resistively loaded antennas. In addition,a design rule guideline is presented for designing the antenna to radiate in a specific background medium and with a given lower operating frequency. Finally,a complete microstrip feed design is presented for the antenna operating in the UWB range.
2. Bond, E. J., X. Li, S. C. Hagness, and B. D. V. Veen, "Microwave imaging via space-time beamforming for early detection of breast cancer," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 51, 1690-1705, Aug. 2003.
3. Guo, B., Y. Wang, J. Li, P. Stoica, and R. Wu, "Microwave imaging via adaptive beamforming methods for breast cancer detection," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, 53-63, 2006.
4. Zainud-Deen, S. H., W. M. Hassen, E. M. Ali, K. H. Awadalla, and H. A. Sharshar, "Breast cancer detection using a hybrid finite difference frequency domain and particle swarm optimization techniques," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 3, 35-46, 2008.
5. Bindu, G., A. Lonappan, V. Thomas, C. K. Aanandan, and K. T. Mathew, "Active microwave imaging for breast cancer detection," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 58, 149-169, 2006.
6. Bindu, G., A. Lonappan, V. Thomas, C. K. Aanandan, and K. T. Mathew, "Dielectric studies of corn syrup for applications in microwave breast imaging," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 59, 175-186, 2006.
7. Zhang, H., S. Y. Tan, and H. S. Tan, "A novel method for microwave breast cancer detection," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 413-434, 2008.
8. Nilavalan, R., A. Gbedemah, I. J. Craddock, X. Li, and S. C. Hagness, "Numerical investigation of breast tumour detection using," Electronics Letters, Vol. 39, 1787-1789, Dec. 2003.
9. Xie, Y., B. Guo, L. Xu, J. Li, and P. Stoica, "Multi-static adaptive microwave imaging for early breast cancer detection," Proceedings of the 39th ASILOMAR Conference on Signals, Systems, and Computers, Pacific Grove, Calif, USA, Oct. 2005.
10. Shao, W., B. Zhou, Z. Zheng, and G. Wang, "UWB microwave imaging for breast tumor detection in inhomogeneous tissue," Proceedings of IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology 27th Annual International Conference, 1496-1499, Shanghai, China, Sept. 2005.
11. Li, X., S. C. Hagness, M. K. Choi, and D. W. van der Weide, "Numerical and experimental investigation of an ultrawideband ridged pyramidal horn antenna with curved launching plane for pulse radiation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 2, 259-262, Feb. 2003.
12. Yun, X., E. C. Fear, and R. H. Johnston, "Compact antenna for radar-based breast cancer detection," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 53, 2374-2380, Aug. 2005.
13. Kanj, H. and M. Popovic, "Miniaturized microstrip-fed `Dark Eyes' antenna for near-field microwave sensing," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagat. Lett., Vol. 4, 397-401, 2005.
14. Rogers website, [Online], http://www.rogerscorporation.com, 2007.
15. Ohmega website, [Online], http://www.ohmega.com/, 2007.
16. Kanj, H. and M. Popovic, "T- and X-arrangement of `Dark Eyes' antennas for microwave sensing array," Proc. IEEE AP-S International Symposium, 1111-1114, Albuquerque, NM, July 2006.
17. IEEE Standard Definitions of Terms for Antennas, 145-1993, IEEE Std., New York, 1993.
18. Balanis, C., Antenna Theory, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, NY, 1997.
19. Lee, K. F. and W. Chen, Advances in Microstrip and Printed Antennas, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, NY, 1997.
20. SEMCAD website, [Online] http://www.semcad.com/, 2007.
21. Ansoftwebsite, [Online] http://www.ansoft.com/, 2007.
22. Gazit, E., "Improved design of the vivaldi antenna," IEE Proc., Part H, Vol. 135, No. 2, 89-92, 1988.
23. Montoya, T. P. and G. S. Smith, "A study of pulse radiation from several broad-band loaded monopoles," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 44, 1172-1182, Aug. 1996.
24. Lamensdorf, D. and L. Susman, "Baseband-pulse-antenna techniques," IEEE Antennas Propagat. Mag., Vol. 36, 20-30, Feb. 1994.
25. Johnson components, [Online] http://www.emersonnetworkpower, 2007.