In this paper we develop a new impulse-radio-based RF front-end module for ultrawideband communications. The proposed transceiving module is designed based a novel compact microwave sampler. The microwave sampler consists of a multilayered magic-T and a balanced sampling bridge. By utilizing a wideband microstripto-slotline Marchand balun, the newly proposed magic-T features an improved bandwidth of 94.2%. The design concept, circuit topology, and experimental results of the magic-T and microwave sampler are investigated in the first half of this paper. By utilizing the equivalent time sampling theory, in the second half of this paper we investigate an impulse-radio-based ultrawideband transceiving front-end module. Two transmission data rates, 90 and 270 Kbps, are demonstrated with various bit patterns. The experimental results reveal that the transceiving module has a coverage range up to 4.5 m. The circuit configuration, modulation scheme, and system performance of the front-end module are discussed thoroughly. The tradeoff for increasing the data rate is discussed at the end of this paper as well.
2. Yang, L. and G. B. Giannakis, "Ultra-wideband communications: An idea whose time has come," IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, Vol. 21, No. 6, 26-54, Nov. 2004.
3. Fang, C., Y. Zheng, and C. L. Law, "An ultra wideband transmitter based on up conversion architecture," Proc. IEEE Int. Workshop on Radio-frequencyInte gration Tech., 38-41, Singapore, Nov. 2005.
4. Ma, T. G. and C. F. Chou, "A compact multilayered magic-T in microstrip form and its application to microwave sampler," 2008 IEEE Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., 887-890, Atlanta GA, June 2008.
5. Remley, A. and D. F. Williams, "Sampling oscilloscope models and calibrations," 2003 IEEE Int. Microwave Symp. Dig., Vol. 1507, No. 1510, Philadelphia, PA, July 2003.
6. Lawton, R., S. Riad, and J. Andrews, "Pulse & time-domain measurements," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 74, 77-81, Jan. 1986.
7. Madnani, K. and C. S. Aitchison, "A 20 GHz microwave sampler," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 40, No. 10, 1960-1963, Oct. 1992.
8. Madani, K., "A hybrid 0.5–20 GHz microwave sampler," IEE Colloquium on Multi-octave Microw. Circuits, 3/1-3/4, London, UK, Nov. 1991.
9. Han, J. and C. Nguyen, "Coupled-slotline-hybrid sampling mixer integrated with step-recovery-diode pulse generator for UWB applications," IEEE Trans. on Microw. TheoryT ech., Vol. 53, No. 6, 1875-1882, June 2005.
10. Shamsinejad, S., M. Soleimani, and N. Komjani, "Novel enhanced and miniaturized 90o coupler for 3G EH mixers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 3, 43-50, 2008.
11. Ohm, J. and M. Alberty, "Microwave phase detectors for PSK demodulators," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 29, No. 7, 724-731, July 1981.
12. Stec, B., C. Recko, and W. Susek, "Multibit microwave frequency discriminators," Proc. 2006 Int. Conference on Microw., Radar & Wireless Communications, 240-242, May 2006.
13. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 3rd Ed., John Wiley & Sons, 2005.
14. Kim, J. P. and W. S. Park, "Novel configurations of planar multilayer magic-T using microstrip-slotline transitions," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 50, No. 7, 1683-1688, 2002.
15. U-yen, K., E. J. Wollack, J. Papapolymerou, and J. Laskar, "A broadband planar magic-T using microstrip-slotline transitions," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 56, No. 1, 172-177, Jan. 2008.
16. Fan, L., C.-H. Ho, S. Kanamaluru, and K. Chang, "Wideband reduced uniplanar magic-T, hybrid-ring, and de Ronde's CPW-slot couplers," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 43, No. 12, 2749-2758, Dec. 1995.
17. Gruszczynski, S., K. Wincza, and K. Sachse, "Design of compensated coupled-stripline 3-dB directional couplers, phase shifters and magic-Ts (Part II: Broadband coupled-line circuits)," IEEE Trans. Microw Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 9, 3501-3507, Sept. 2006.
18. Wang, Z.-X., W. B. Dou, and Z.-L. Mei, "A compact H-plane magic tee designed at W band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 5, 35-48, 2008.
19. Katsube, M. W., Y. M. M. Anter, A. Ittipiboon, and M. Cuhaci, "A novel aperture coupled microstrip magic-T," IEEE Microw. Guided Wave Lett., Vol. 2, No. 6, 245-246, June 1992.
20. Davidovitz, M., "A compact planar magic-T junction with aperture-coupled difference port," IEEE Microw. Guided Wave Lett., Vol. 7, No. 8, 217-218, Aug. 1997.
21. Fan, Z., L.-X. Ran, and J. A. Kong, "Source pulse optimizations for UWB radio systems," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 11, 1535-1550, 2006.
22. Hall, R., S. Hamilton, and S. Krakauer, "Impulse-shunt made harmonic generation," Proc. 1966 ISSCC, 66-67, 1966.
23. Yin, X.-C., C.-L. Ruan, C.-Y. Ding, and J.-H. Chu, "A planar U type monopole antenna for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 2, 1-10, 2008.
24. Gopikrishna, M., D. D. Krishna, A. R. Chandran, and C. K. Aanandan, "Square monopole antenna for ultra wide band communication applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 11, 1525-1537, 2007.