Ray tracing has been successfully usedin prediction of wave propagation models in recent years. Although this method has its own obvious benefits, it suffers from a big problem: slow performance. In this paper, novel methods are proposed in which the main focus is on reducing the number of ray-facet intersections. First a preprocessing methodis proposed which reduces the number of ray-facet intersection tests dramatically. Later this method is combined with a volume bounding algorithm to make improvements in the speed of ray-tracing simulations, even more.
2. Yang, C. F., B. C. Wu, and C. J. Ko, "A ray-tracing method for modeling indoor wave propagation and penetration," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 46, No. 6, 907-919, 1998.
3. Catedra, M. F., Cell Planning for Wireless Communications, Artech House, 1999.
4. Chen, C. H., C. L. Liu, C. C. Chiu, and T. M. Hu, "Ultra-wide bandc hannel calculation by SBR/Image techniques for indoor communication," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 1, 41-51, 2006.
5. El-Sallabi, H. M. and P. Vainikainen, "Radio wave propagation in perpendicular streets of urban street grid for microcellular communications. Part I: Channel modeling," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 40, 229-254, 2003.
6. Wang, N., Y. Zhang, and C. H. Liang, "Creeping ray-tracing algorithm of UTD method based on NURBS models with the source on surface," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 14, 1981-1990, 2006.
7. Mphale, K. and M. Heron, "Ray tracing radio waves in wildfire environments," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 67, 153-172, 2007.
8. Li, L. W., T. S. Yeo, P. S. Kooi, M. S. Leong, and J. H. Koh, "Analysis of electromagnetic wave propagation in forest environment along multiple paths ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 23, 137-164, 1999.
9. Liu, Y.-J., Y.-R. Zhang, and W. Cao, "A novel approach to the refraction propagation characteristics of UWB signal waveforms," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 14, 1939-1950, 2007.
10. Fugen, T., J. Maurer, W. Sorgel, and W. Wiesbeck, Characterization of multipath clusters with ray-tracing in urban MIMO propagation environments at 2 GHz, IEEE Proceedings of the International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation, Washington DC, USA, 2005.
11. Agelet, F. A., A. Formella, J. M. H. Rabanos, F. I. Vicente, and F. P. Fontan, "Efficient ray-tracing acceleration techniques for radio propagation modeling," IEEE Trans. Veh. Tech., Vol. 49, No. 6, 2000.
12. Yun, Z., M. F. Iskander, and Z. Zhang, "Fast ray tracing procedure using space division with uniform rectangular grid," IEEE Electronics Letters, Vol. 36, No. 10, 895-897, 2000.
13. Tao, Y. B., H. Lin, and H. J. Bao, "KD-tree based fast ray tracing for RCS prediction," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 81, 329-341, 2008.
14. Bang, J.-K. and B.-C. Kim, "Time consumption reduction of ray tracing for RCS prediction using efficient grid division and space division algorithms," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 6, 829-840, 2007.
15. Jin, K.-S., "Fast ray tracing using a space-division algorithm for RCS prediction," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 1, 119-126, 2006.
16. Cocheril, Y. and R. Vauzelle, "A new ray-tracing based wave propagation model including rough surfaces scattering," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 75, 357-381, 2007.
17. Teh, C. H., F. Kung, and H. T. Chuah, "A path-correctedw all model for ray-tracing propagation modeling," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 2, 207-214, 2006.
18. Liang, C., Z. Liu, and H. Di, "Study on the blockage of electromagnetic rays analytically," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 1, 253-268, 2008.
19. Wald, I., H. Friedrich, G. Marmitt, P. Slusallek, and H. Seidel, "Faster isosurface ray tracing using implicit KD-trees," IEEE Trans. Vis. Comput. Graph., Vol. 11, No. 5, 562-572, 2005.
20. Weghorst, H., G. Hooper, and D. P. Greenberg, "Improved computational methods for ray tracing," IEEE Trans. Vis. Comput. Graph., Vol. 11, No. 5, 562-572, 2005.
21. Skyum, S., "A simple algorithm for computing the smallest enclosing circle," Inform. Process. Lett., Vol. 37, 121-125, 1991.