In this paper, we report, for the first time to the best of our knowledge, the detailed modeling and performance of Raman amplification and superluminal propagation of weak ultrafast femtosecond optical pulses in nonlinear loop single mode silicon-oninsulator anomalously dispersive optical waveguides. Using the device, theoretical results for 100-fs signal optical pulse show that when the launch peak power of signal pulse is fixed at −10 dBm, the gain value up to 30 dB can be achieved, and the delay time of superluminal propagation can also be adjusted by changing the system parameters, including initial chirp and peak power of pump pulse, initial delay time between pump and signal pulses, and waveguide length, etc.
2. Shi, H., "Performance analysis on semiconductor laser amplifier loop mirrors," J. of Lightwave Technol., Vol. 20, No. 4, 682-688, 2002.
3. Sun, H., H. Dong, and N. K. Dutta, "Mode-locked erbiumdoped fiber ring laser using intracvity polarization-maintaining loop mirror," IEEE Photon. Technol., Vol. 18, No. 12, 1311-1313, 2006.
4. Rong, H., A. Liu, R. Jones, O. Cohen, D. Hak, R. Nicolaescu, A. Fang, and M. Paniccia, "An all-silicon Raman laser," Nature, Vol. 433, No. 17, 292-294, 2005.
5. Rong, H., R. Jones, A. Liu, O. Cohen, D. Hak, A. Fang, and M. Paniccia, "A continuous-wave Raman silicon laser," Nature, Vol. 433, No. 20, 725-728, 2005.
6. Liang, T. and H. Tsang, "Efficient Raman amplification in siliconon- insulator waveguide," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 85, No. 16, 3343-3345, 2004.
7. Liu, A., H. Rong, R. Jones, O. Cohen, D. Hak, and M. Paniccia, "Optical amplification and lasing by stimulated Raman scattering in silicon waveguides," J. of Lightwave Technol., Vol. 24, No. 3, 1440-1455, 2006.
8. Xu, Q., V. R. Almelda, and M. Lipson, "Demonstration of high Raman gain in a submicrometer-size silicon-on-insulator waveguide," Opt. Lett., Vol. 30, No. 1, 35-37, 2005.
9. Liu, A., H. Rong, and M. Paniccia, "Net optical gain in a low loss silicon-on-insulator waveguide by stimulated Raman scattering," Opt. Express, Vol. 12, No. 8, 4261-4268, 2004.
10. Wu, J. W. and F. G. Luo, "Generation of high repetition rate picosecond pulse train based on ultra-small silicon waveguide," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 75, 163-170, 2007.
11. Dogariu, A., A. Kuzmich, H. Cao, and L. J. Wang, "Superluminal light pulse propagation via rephrasing in a transparent anomalously dispersive medium," Opt. Express, Vol. 8, No. 6, 344-350, 2001.
12. Lousteau, J., D. furniss, A. B. Scddon, T. M. Benson, A. Vukovic, and P. Sewell, "The single-mode condition for silicon-on-insulator optical rib waveguides with large cross section," J. of Lightwave Technol., Vol. 22, No. 8, 1923-1929, 2006.
13. Leonardis, F. D. and V. M. N. Passaro, "Modeling of Raman amplification in silicon-on-insulator optical microcavities," New J. of Phys., Vol. 9, No. 25, 1-24, 2007.
14. Leonardis, F. D. and V. M. N. Passaro, "Modeling and performance of a guided-wave optical angular-velocity sensor based on Raman effect in SOI," J. of Lightwave Technol., Vol. 25, No. 9, 2352-2366, 2007.
15. Shwetanshumala, S. A. Biswas, and S. Konar, "Dynamically stable super Gaussian solitons in semiconductor doped glass fibers," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 20, No. 7, 901-912, 2006.
16. Biswas, A., S. Konar, and E. Zerrad, "Soliton-soliton interaction with parabolic law nonlinearity," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 20, No. 7, 927-939, 2006.
17. Biswas, A., Shwetanshumala, and S. Konar, "Dynamically stable dispersion-managed optical solitons with parabolic law nonlinearity," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 20, No. 9, 1249-1258, 2006.
18. Dimitropoulos, D., V. Raghunathan, R. Claps, and B. Jalali, "Phase-matching and nonlinear optical processes in silicon waveguides," Opt. Express, Vol. 12, No. 1, 149-160, 2003.
19. Passaro, V. M. N. and F. D. Leonardis, "Space-time modeling of Raman pulses in silicon-on-insulator optical waveguides," J. of Lightwave Technol., Vol. 24, No. 7, 2920-2931, 2006.
20. Soref, R. A. and B. R. Bennett, "Electrooptical effects in silicon," IEEE Quantum Electron., Vol. QE-23, No. 1, 123-129, 1987.
21. Claps, R., V. Rahgunathan, D. Dimitropoulos, and B. Jalali, "Influence of nonlinear absorption on Raman amplification in silicon waveguides," Opt. Express, Vol. 12, No. 12, 2774-2780, 2004.
22. Dimitropoulos, D., R. Jhaveri, R. Claps, J. C. S. Woo, and B. Jalali, "Lifetime of photogenerated carriers in silicon-oninsulator rib waveguides," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 86, No. 3, 1-3, 2005.
23. Chen, X., D. Liang, and K. Huang, "Micro wave imaging 3- D buried objects using parallel gentic algorithm combined with FDTD technique," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 20, No. 13, 1761-1774, 2006.
24. Gong, Z. Q. and G. Q. Zhu, "FDTD analysis of an anisotropically coated missile," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 64, 69-80, 2006.
25. Khalaj-Amirhosseini, M., "Analysis of lossy inhomogeneous planar layers using finite difference method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 59, 187-198, 2006.
26. Luo, S. and Z. D. Chen, "An efficient modal FDTD for absorbing boundary conditions and incident wave generator in waveguide structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 68, 229-246, 2007.
27. Raghunathan, V., R. Claps, D. Dimitropoulos, and B. Jalali, "Parametric Raman wavelength conversion in scaled silicon waveguides," J. of Lightwave Technol., Vol. 23, No. 6, 2094-2101, 2005.
28. Hsieh, I. W., X. Chen, J. I. Dadap, N. C. Panoin, R. M. Osgood, S. J. Mcnab, and Y. A. Vlasov, "Itrafast-pulse self-phase modulation and third-order dispersion in Si photonic wirewaveguides," Opt. Express, Vol. 14, No. 25, 12380-12387, 2006.
29. Yin, L. and G. P. Agrawal, "Impact of two-photon absorption on self-phase modulation in silicon waveguides," Opt. Lett., Vol. 32, No. 4, 2031-2033, 2007.