A rectangular patch antenna with two circular apertures, a defected ground structure (DGS), and a shorting post is proposed in this paper. The novel structure can reduce the radar cross section (RCS) of the antenna at its operating frequency. At the same time, the return loss of the proposed antenna is maintained, and the RCSs of the patch antenna at the frequencies outside the operating band are also reduced. The proposed antenna is simulated by using high frequency electromagnetic simulation software. The peak of RCSs is reduced about 7 dB and the broadband RCSs are below −30 dB from 2 to 8 GHz. This result is useful for low-RCS antenna application.
2. Gustafsson, M., "RCS reduction of integrated antenna arrays with resistive sheets," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 1, 27-40, 2006.
3. Wilsen, C. B. and D. B. Davidson, "The radar cross section reduction of microstrip patch," IEEE the 4th Africon Conf., Vol. 2, No. 9, 730-733, 1996.
4. Wilsen, C. B., D. B. Davidson, J. W. Odendaal, and D. J. J. Rerisburg, "The RCS reduction of microstrip patch antennas," The 10th International Conf., Vol. 1, No. 4, 174-177, 1997.
5. Yang, H. Y., J. A. Castaneda, and N. G. Alexopoulos, "Multifunctional antennas with low RCS," IEEE 1992 Antennas and Propagat. Symp., Vol. 4, No. 7, 2240-2243, 1992.
6. Liu, Y., S. Gong, and H. B. Zhang, "A novel fractal slot microstrip antenna with low RCS," IEEE 2006 Antennas and Propagat. Symp., No. 7, 2603-2606, 2006.
7. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory Analysis and Design, second edition, John Wiley & Sons, Inc, New York, 1997.
8. Ahn, D., J.-S. Park, C.-S. Kim, J. Kim, Y. Qian, and T. Itoh, "A design of the low-pass filter using the novel microstrip defected ground structure," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 49, No. 1, 86-93, 2001.
9. Oskouei, H. D., K. Forooraghi, and M. Hakkak, "Guided and leaky wave characteristics of periodic defected ground structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 73, 15-27, 2007.
10. Chen, J., Z.-B.Weng, Y.-C. Jiao, and F.-S. Zhang, "Lowpass filter design of Hilbert curve ring defected ground structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 70, 269-280, 2007.
11. Sharma, R., T. Chakravarty, S. Bhooshan, and A. B. Bhattacharyya, "Design of a novel 3 dB microstrip backward wave coupler using defected ground structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 65, 261-273, 2006.
12. Xiao, J.-K. and Y. Li, "Novel compact microstrip square ring bandpass filters," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 13, 1817-1826, 2006.
13. Wu, B., B. Li, T. Su, and C.-H. Liang, "Equivalent-circuit analysis and lowpass filter design of split-ring resonator DGS," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 4, 1943-1953, 2006.