Computation of coherent electromagnetic wave propagation through rain medium with a realistic raindrop shape is the subject of this work. T-Matrix approach towards the computation of forward scattering amplitude of raindrops is considered numerically exact. The results of Total Cross Section and forward scattering amplitude due to raindrops with MPP model shape are calculated by T-Matrix method. Both horizontal and vertical polarization of incident wave are considered where specific attenuation, phase shift and cross polarization discrimination (XPD) for terrestrial coherent electromagnetic wave propagation in the frequency range of 3-300 GHz are presented. Furthermore the effect of temperature on specific attenuation vs. frequency is investigated.
2. Panagopoulos, A. D. and G. E. Chatzarakis, "Outage performance of single/dual polarized fixed wireless access links in heavy climatic regions," J. of Electromagnetic Waves and Application, No. 3, 283-297, 2007.
3. Mandeep, J. S., "Equatorial rainfall measurements on Ku-band datellite communication downlink," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 76, 195-200, 2007.
4. Chen, K. S. and C. Y. Chu, "A propagation study of the 28 GHz LMDS system performance with M-QAM modulations under rain fading," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 68, 35-51, 2007.
5. Georgiadou, E. M., A. D. Panagopoulos, and J. D. Kaanellopoulos, "Millimeter wave pulse propagation through distorted raindrops for LOS fixed wireless access channels," J. of Electromagnetic Waves and Application, No. 9, 1235-1248, 2006.
6. Battaglia, A., F. Prodi, and O. Sturniolo, "Radar and scattering parameters through falling hydrometeors with axisymmetric shapes," Applied Optics, Vol. 40, No. 18/20, 3092-3100, 2001.
7. Pruppacher, H. R. and R. L. Pitter, "A semi-empirical determination of the shape of cloud and rain drops," Journal of the Atmospheric Science, Vol. 28, No. 1, 86-94, 1971.
8. Oguchi, T., "Scattering properties of Pruppacher-and-Pitter form rain-drops and cross polarization due to rain: Calculation at 11, 13, 19.3, and 34.8 GHz," Radio Science, Vol. 12, 41-51, 1977.
9. Li, L.-W., P.-S. Kooi, M.-S. Leong, T.-S. Yeo, and M.-Z. Gao, "Microwave attenuation by realistically distorted raindrops: Part I-Theory," IEEE Trans. on AP, Vol. 43, No. 8, 811-822, 1995.
10. De Wolf, D. A. and A. J. Zwiesler, "Rayleigh-Mie approximation for line-of-sigth propagation through rain at 5–90 GHz," IEEE Trans. on AP, Vol. 44, No. 3, 273-279, 1996.
11. Oguchi, T., "Attenuation and phase rotation of radio waves due to rain: Calculations at 19.3 and 34.8 GHz," Radio Science, Vol. 8, No. 1, 31-38, 1973.
12. Li, L.-W., T.-S. Yeo, P.-S. Kooi, and M.-S. Leong, "An efficient calculation approach to evaluation of microwave specific attenuation," IEEE Trans. on AP, Vol. 48, No. 8, 1220-1229, 2000.
13. Ajose, S. O. and M. N. O. Sadiku, "Computation of attenuation, phase rotation, and cross-polarization of radio waves due to rainfall in tropical regions," IEEE Trans. on AP, Vol. 43, No. 1, 1-5, 1995.
14. Lin, D.-P. and H.-Y. Chen, "Volume integral equation solution of extinction cross section by raindrops in the range 0.6-100GHz," IEEE Trans. on AP, Vol. 49, No. 3, 494-499, 2001.
15. Li, L.-W., T. S. Yeo, P. S. Kooi, and M. S. Leong, "Microwave specific attenuation by oblate spheroidal raindrops: an exact analysis of TCS's in terms of spheroidal wave functions," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 18, 127-150, 1998.
16. Holt, A. R., N. K. Uzunoglu, and B. G. Evans, "An integral solution to the scattering of electromagnetic radiation by dielectric spheroids and ellipsoids," IEEE Trans. on AP, Vol. 26, No. 5, 706-712, 1978.
17. Seow, Y. L., L.-W. Li, M.-S. Leong, P.-S. Kooi, and T.-S. Yeo, "An efficient TCS formula for rainfall microwave attenuation: TMatrix approach and 3-Dfitting for oblate spheroidal raindrops," IEEE Trans. on AP, Vol. 46, No. 8, 1176-1181, 1998.
18. Oguchi, T., Electromagnetic wave propagation and scattering in rain and other hydrometeors, Proc. IEEE, Vol. 71, No. 9, 1029-1079, 1983.
19. Mishchenko, M. I., L. D. Travis, and A. A. Lacis, Scattering AbsorptionAbsorption, and Emission of Light by Small Particles, Goddard Institute for Space Studies, New York, 2004.
20. ITU-R P.840-3, Attenuation due to clouds and fogs, 1999.
21. Gong, S. H. and J. Y. Huang, "Accurate analytical model of equivalent dielectric constant for rain medium," J. of Electromagnetic Waves and Application, Vol. 20, No. 13, 1775-1783, 2006.