A novel design of dual circularly polarized antenna is proposed. By etching cross slots on the patch, circular polarization (CP) is achieved. The patch is fed by two L-strips which provide wide impedance bandwidth and high isolation level. Polarization diversity between left-hand circular polarization (LHCP) and right-hand circular polarization (RHCP) is provided by switching the two ports and both LHCP and RHCP signals can be received simultaneously. The experimental results show that the 3 dB axial ratio CP bandwidth of the proposed design is increased two times, as compared to a referential CP antenna fed by L-strip. The details of experimental results for the proposed design are presented and discussed.
2. Jan, J.-Y. and K.-L. Wong, "A dual-band circularly polarized stacked elliptic microstrip antenna," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 24, 354-357, 2000.
3. Abdelaziz, A. A., "Bandwidth enhansment of microstrip antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 63, 311-317, 2006.
4. Pirhadi, A., M. Hakkak, and F. Keshmiri, "Using electromagnetic bandgap superstrate to enhance the bandwidth of probe-FED microstrip antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 61, 215-230, 2006.
5. Luk, K. M., C. H. Lai, and K. F. Lee, "Wideband L-probe feed patch antenna with dual-band operation for GSM/PCS base stations," Electron. Lett., Vol. 35, 1123-1124, 1999.
6. Clian, W. K., C. H. Lo, and K. M. Luk, "Circularly polarized patch antenna array using proximity-coupled L-strip line feed," Electron. Lett., Vol. 30, 1814-1815, 1994.
7. Tu, T.-C., C.-M. Li, and C.-C. Chiu, "The performance of polarization diversity schemes in outdoor micro cells," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 55, 175-188, 2005.
8. Shynu, S. V., G. Augustin, C. K. Aanandan, P. Mohanan, and K. Vasudevan, "Design of compact reconfigurable dual frequency microstrip antennas using varactor diodes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 60, 197-205, 2006.
9. Chen, Y. B., Y. C. Jiao, and F. S. Zhang, "Polarization reconfigurable CPW-FED square slot antenna using pin diodes," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 49, 1233-1235, 2007.
10. Chen, Y.-B., T.-B. Chen, Y.-C. Jiao, and F.-S. Zhang, "A reconfigurable microstrip antenna with switchable polarization," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 10, 1391-1398, 2006.
11. Chung, K., Y. Nam, T. Yun, and J. Choi, "Reconfigurable microstrip patch antenna with frequency and polarization diversity functions," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 47, 96-98, 2002.
12. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "A reconfigurable patch antenna using switchable slots for circular polarization diversity," IEEE Microwave Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 12, 96-98, 2002.
13. Aloni, E. and R. Kastner, "Analysis of a dual circularly polarized microstrip antenna fed by crossed slots," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 42, 1994.
14. Zhang, M.-T., Y.-B. Chen, Y.-C. Jiao, and F.-S. Zhang, "Dual circularly polarized antenna of compact structure for RFID application," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 14, 1895-190, 2006.
15. Bao, X. L. and M. J. Ammann, "Comparison of several novel annular-ring microstrip path antennas for circular polarization," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 11, 1427-1438, 2006.
16. Liu, W. C. and P.-C. Kao, "Design of a probe-fed Hshaped microstrip antenna for circular polarization," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 7, 857-864, 2006.