Desired far-field radiation patterns of 5 × 11 conformal antenna array are synthesized using a hybrid genetic algorithm (HGA), which combines the simplified quadratic interpolation (SQI) method and the real-coded genetic algorithm (RCGA). This hybrid genetic algorithm is shown to outperform standard genetic algorithm (GA) when used to synthesize amplitude weights of the elements to satisfy specified deep notches, nulls and average sidelobe level constraints. The HGA procedure appears to be a high effective means to compensate the mutual coupling effects on the individual element patterns for the conformal antenna array.
2. Lo, Y. T. and S. W. Lee, Antenna Handbook: Theory, Applications, and Design, Van Nostrand, New York, 1998.
3. Mahanti, G. K., A. Chakraborty, and S. Das, "Design of fully digital controlled reconfigurable array antennas with fixed dynamic range ratio," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 1, 97-106, 2007.
4. Babayigit, B., A. Akdagli, and K. Guney, "A clonal selection algorithm for null synthesizing of linear antenna arrays by amplitude control," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Application, Vol. 20, 1007-1020, 2006.
5. Lee, K. C. and J. Y. Jhang, "Application of particle swarm algorithm to the optimization of unequally spaced antenna arrays," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Application, Vol. 20, No. 14, 2001-2012, 2006.
6. Guney, K. and M. Onay, "Amplitude-only pattern nulling of linear antenna arrays with the use of bees algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 70, 21-36, 2007.
7. Mahanti, G. K., N. Pathak, and P. Mahanti, "Synthesis of thinned linear antenna arrays with fixed sidelobe level using realcoded genetic algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 75, 319-328, 2007.
8. Vaskelainen, L. I., "Constrained least-squares optimization in conformal array antenna synthesis," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 3, 859-867, 2007.
9. Kojima, N., K. Hariu, and I. Chiba, Low sidelobe pattern synthesis using projection method with mutual coupling compensation, IEEE International Symposium on Phased Array Systems and Technology, 559-564, 2003.
10. Ferreira, J. A. and F. Ares, "Pattern synthesis of conformal arrays by the simulated annealing technique," Electron. Lett., Vol. 33, No. 14, 1187-1189, 1997.
11. Ansell, D. W. and E. J. Hughes, Using multi-objective genetic algorithms to optimise the subarray partitions of conformal array antennas, Twelfth International Conference on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 1, No. 5, 151-155, 2003.
12. Boeringer, D. W., D. H. Werner, and D. W. Machuga, "A simultaneous parameter adaptation scheme for genetic algorithms with application to phased array synthesis," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 1, 356-371, 2005.
13. Li, H., Y. C. Jiao, and Y. Wang, Integrating the simplified interpolation into the genetic algorithm for constrained optimization problems, International Conference on Computational Intelligence and Security, 247-254, 2005.
14. Ali, M. M., A. Törn, and S. Vitanen, "A numerical comparison of some modified controlled random search algorithms," Journal of Global Optimization, Vol. 11, 377-385, 1997.