Maxwell's equations are solved to determine transient electromagnetic fields inside as well as outside of a large conducting plate of an arbitrary thickness. The plate is carrying a uniformly distributed excitation winding on its surfaces. Transient fields are produced due to sudden application of a d.c. voltage at the terminals of the excitation winding. On the basis of a linear treatment of this initial value problem it is concluded that the transient fields may decay at a faster rate for conducting plates with smaller values of relaxation time. It is also shown that the growth of flux in a perfectly nonconducting plate is a piecewise linear function of time and the current in its excitation winding is a series of stepfunction of time.
2. Wagner, C. W., "Transients in magnetic systems," Trans. Amer. Inst. Elect. Engrs., Vol. 53, 1934.
3. Concordia, C. and H. Poritsky, "Synchronous machines with solid cylindrical rotor," Trans. Amer. Inst. Elect. Engrs., Vol. 56, 1937.
4. Pohl, R., "Impact exciters," Elektrotechnik und Maschinbau, Vol. 54, 1936.
5. Pohl, R., Rise of flux due to impact excitation: retardation by eddy currents in solid parts, Proc. IEE, Vol. 96, 57-65, 1949.
6. Kesavamurthy, N. and P. K. Rajagopalan, Rise of flux in solid iron core due to impact excitation, Proc. IEE, Vol. 106 C, No. Monograph 336 U, 189-192, 1959.
7. Kesavamurthy, N. and P. K. Rajagopalan, Effects of eddy currents on the rise and decay of flux in solid magnetic cores, Proc. IEE, Vol. 109 C, No. 3, 63-75, 1962.
8. Subba Rao, V., Equivalent circuit of solid iron core for impact excitation problems, Proc. IEE, Vol. 111, No. 2, 349-357, 1964.
9. Subba Rao, V. and S. K. Bhate, Voltage impact excitation of rectangular solid iron core, Proc. IEE, Vol. 114, No. 3, 411-418, 1967.
10. Bansal, V. K., S. Basu, and P. Mukhopadhyay, "Transient field analysis of solid steel block," Int. J. Elect. Enging Educ., Vol. 11, 347-352, 1974.
11. Maksiejewski, J. L., Losses in conductors due to current surges taking the skin effect into account, Proc. IEE, Vol. 137, No. 3, 80-84, 1990.
12. Antonopoulos, C. S., S. M. Panas, and E. E. Kriezis, Transient electromagnetic shielding in a system of two coaxial cylindrical shells, Proc. IEE-A, Vol. 138, No. 5, 281-285, 1991.
13. O'Kelly, D., Impact and transient excitation of magnetic plate including hysteresis and eddy-current action, Proc. IEE-A, Vol. 139, No. 3, 99-106, 1992.
14. Poljak, D. and V. Doric, "Wire antenna model for transient analysis of simple groundingsystems, Part I: The vertical grounding electrode," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 64, 149-166, 2006.
15. Poljak, D. and V. Doric, "Wire antenna model for transient analysis of simple groundingsystems, Part II: The horizontal grounding electrode," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 64, 167-189, 2006.
16. Tang, M. and J. F. Mao, "Transient analysis of lossy nonuniform transmission lines using a time-stepin tegration method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 69, 257-266, 2007.
17. Fan, Z., L. X. Ran, and J. A. Kong, "Source pulse optimization for UWB radio systems," Journal of Electromagnetics Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 11, 1535-1550, 2006.
18. Okazaki, T., A. Hirata, and Z. I. Kawasaki, "Time-domain mathematical model of impulsive EM noises emitted from discharges," Journal of Electromagnetics Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 12, 1681-1694, 2006.
19. Ahmad, I., "Field theory of impact excitation," Dissertation, 1992.
20. Manuja, S., "Study of electromagnetic transients in a conducting plate due to current impact excitation," Dissertation, 1996.
21. Mukerji, S. K., G. K. Singh, S. K. Goel, and S. Manuja, "A theoretical study of electromagnetic transients in a large conducting plate due to current impact excitation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 76, 15-29, 2007.
22. Chen, H., B. I. Wu, and J. A. Kong, "Review of electromagnetic waves in left-handed materials," Journal of Electromagnetics Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 15, 2137-2151, 2006.
23. Grzegorczyk, T. M. and J. A. Kong, "Review of left-handed materials: Evolution from theoretical and numerical studies to potential applications," Journal of Electromagnetics Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 14, 2053-2064, 2006.
24. Mahmoud, S. F. and A. J. Viitanen, "Surface wave character on a slab of metamaterial with negative permittivity and permeability," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 51, 127-137, 2005.