A rigorous semi-analytical solution is presented for electromagnetic scattering from an array of parallel-coated circular cylinders of arbitrary radii and positions due to an obliquely incident TMz plane wave excitation. In order to check the validity of this technique, the radar cross-section of a single coated cylinder, a linear array of cylinders, and an arbitrary position array of cylinders are calculated and compared with available data in the literature. Furthermore, the near field is calculated to prove the validity of the boundary conditions on the surface of any cylinder with obliquely incidence wave. As an application, circular metamaterial cylinders are used to show the effect of metamaterial characteristics in altering the forward and backward scattering and in focusing the near field around the objects.
2. Mei, K. K. and J. Van Bladel, "Scattering by perfectly conducting rectangular cylinder," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. AP- 11, 185-192, 1963.
3. Richmond, J. H., "Scattering by a dielectric cylinder of arbitrary cross-section shape," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. AP- 13, 334-341, 1965.
4. Ragheb, H. A. and M. Hamid, "Scattering by N parallel conducting circular cylinders," Int. J. Electron., Vol. 59, No. 1, 407-421, 1985.
5. Elsherbeni, A. Z. and M. Hamid, "Scattering by parallel conducting circular cylinders," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. AP-35, 355-358, 1987.
6. Elsherbeni, A. Z. and A. Kishk, "Modeling of cylindrical objects by circular cylinders," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 40, No. 1, 96-99, 1992.
7. Hamid, A. K., "Scattering by two infinitely long dielectric-coated confocal conducting elliptic cylinders," J. of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 18, No. 11, 1427-1441, 2004.
8. Hamid, A. K. and M. I. Hussein, "Iterative solution to the electromagnetic plane wave scattering by two parallel conducting elliptic cylinders," J. of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 17, 813-828, 2003.
9. Hamid, A. K., "Iterative solution to the TM scattering by two infinitely long lossy dielectric elliptic cylinders," J. of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 18, 529-546, 2004.
10. Wait, J. R., "Scattering of a plane wave from a circular dielectric cylinder at oblique incidence," Can. J. Phys., Vol. 33, 189-195, 1955.
11. Kim, C. S., "Scattering of an obliquely incident wave by a coated elliptical conducting cylinder," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 5, No. 11, 1169-1186, 1991.
12. Henin, B. H., A. Z. Elsherbeni, and M. H. Al Sharkawy, "Oblique incidence plane wave scattering from an array of circular dielectric cylinders," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 68, 261-279, 2007.
13. Li, C. and Z. Shen, "Electromagnetic scattering by a conducting cylinder coated with metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 42, 91-105, 2003.
14. Shooshtrai, A. and A. R. Sebak, "Electromagnetic scattering by parallel metamaterial cylinders," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 57, 165-177, 2006.
15. Ziolkowski, R. W. and E. Heyman, "Wave propagation in media having negative permittivity and permeability," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 64, No. 5, 056625, 2001.
16. Engheta, N., "Ideas for potential applications of metamaterial with negative permittivity and permeability," Advances in Electromagnetics of Complex Media and Metamaterials, 19-37, 2002.