In this paper, an accurate modeling procedure for GaAs MESFET as active coupled transmission line is presented. This model can consider the effect of wave propagation along the device electrodes. In this modeling technique the active multiconductor transmission line (AMTL) equations are obtained, which satisfy the TEM wave propagation along the GaAs MESFET electrodes. This modeling procedure is applied to a GaAs MESFETs by solving the AMTL equations using Finite-Difference Time-Domain (FDTD) technique. The scattering parameters are computed from time domain results over a frequency range of 20-220 GHz. This model investigates the effect of wave propagation along the transistor more accurate than the slice model, especially at high frequencies.
2. Alsunaidi, M. A., S. M. S. Imtiaz, and S. M. Ghazaly, "Electromagnetic wave effects on microwave transistors using a full-wave time-domain model," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 44, 799-808, 1996.
3. Ghazaly, S. M. and T. Itoh, "Traveling-wave inverted-gate fieldeffect transistor: concept, analysis, and potential," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 37, 1027-1032, 1989.
4. Ghazaly, S. M. and T. Itoh, "Inverted-gate field-effect transistors: novel high frequency structures," IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, Vol. 35, 810-817, 1988.
5. Goasguen, S., M. Tomeh, and S. M. Ghazaly, "Electromagnetic and semiconductor device simulation using interpolating wavelets," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 49, No. 12, 2258-2265, 2001.
6. Hussein, Y. A. and S. M. El. Ghazaly, "Modeling and optimization of microwave devices and circuits using genetic algorithms," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 52, No. 1, 329-336, 2004.
7. Movahhedi, M. and A. Abdipour, "Efficient numerical methods for simulation of high-frequency active device," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 6, 2636-2645, 2006.
8. Movahhedi, M. and A. Abdipour, Improvement of active microwave device modeling using filter-bank transforms, Proc. 35th Euro. Microwave., 1113-1117, 2005.
9. Movahhedi, M. and A. Abdipour, "Accelerating the transient simulation of semiconductor devices using filter-bank transforms," Int. J. Numer. Mod., Vol. 19, 47-67, 2006.
10. Abdipour, A. and A. Pacaud, "Complete sliced model of microwave FET's and Comparison with lumped model and experimental results," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 44, No. 1, 4-9, 1996.
11. Ongareau, E., R. G. Bosisio, M. Aubourg, J. Obregon, and M. Gayral, "A non-linear and distributed modeling procedure of FETs," Int. Journal Numerical Modeling, Vol. 7, 309-319, 1994.
12. Waliullah, M., S. M. Ghazaly, and S. Goodnick, Large-signal circuit-based time domain analysis of high frequency devices including distributed effects, Microwave Symposium Digest, Vol. 3, 2145-2148, 2002.
13. Taflove, A., Computational Electrodynamics the Finite-Difference Time-Domain Method, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 1996.
14. Paul, C. R., "Incorporation of terminal constraints in the FDTD analysis of transmission lines," IEEE Trans. Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 36, 85-91, 1994.
15. Orlandi, A. and C. R. Paul, "FDTD analysis of lossy, multiconductor transmission lines terminated in arbitrary loads," IEEE Trans. Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 38, 388-399, 1996.
16. Roden, A. J., C. R. Paul, W. T. Smith, and D. S. Gedney, "Finite- Difference, Time-Domain analysis of lossy transmission lines," IEEE Trans. Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 38, 15-24, 1996.
17. Tang, M. and F. J. Mao, "Transient analysis of lossy nonuniform transmission lines using a time-stepin tegration method," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 69, 257-266, 2007.
18. Trakadas, P. T. and C. N. Capsalis, "Validation of a modified FDTD method on non-uniform transmission lines," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 31, 311-329, 2001.
19. Khalaj-Amirhosseini, M., "Analysis of coupled or single nonuniform transmission lines using step-by-step numerical integration," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 58, 187-198, 2006.
20. Khalaj-Amirhosseini, M., "Analysis of periodic and aperiodic coupled nonuniform transmission lines using the Fourier series expansion," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 65, 15-26, 2006.
21. Mondal, J. P., "Distributed scaling approach of MESFETs and its comparison with the lumped-element approach," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 37, 1085-1090, 1989.
22. Wang, B. Z., X., H. Wang, and J. S. Hong, "On the generalized transmission-line theory," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 19, No. 3, 413-425, 2005.
23. Lin, C. J. and C. C. Chiu, "A novel model extraction algorithm for reconstruction of coupled transmission lines in highspeed digital system," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 19, No. 12, 1595-1609, 2005.
24. Huang, C. C., "Analysis of multiconductor transmission lines with nonlinear terminations in frequency domain," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 19, No. 3, 413-425, 2005.