This paper presents a new approach for measuring dielectric properties of materials. The proposed approach is based on applying the synthetic time domain reflectometry to a dielectric filled waveguide. The compromising measurement results show that this algorithm can be successfully applied for measuring other parameters of the materials. Also, the approach has been successfully applied to detect the discontinuities of as a multi-section microstrip line. This approach is very useful in measuring the electromagnetic parameters of the different liquids, gels, and solid materials.
2. Ghodgaonkar, D. K., V. V. Varadan, and V. K. Varadan, "Free-space measurement of complex permittivity and complex permeability of magnetic materials at microwave frequencies," IEEE Transactions on Instruments & Measurements, Vol. 39, 387-394, 1990.
3. Milovanivic, B. and S. Ivkovic, A simple method for permittivity measuring using microwave resonant cavity, Microwave Conference, 705-709, 1998.
4. Kumar, A. and S. Sharma, "Measurement of dielectric constant and loss factor of the dielectric materials at microwave frequencies," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 69, 47-54, 2007.
5. Bogle, A., "Electromagnetic material characterization using a partially filled rectangular waveguide," Journal Electromagnetic Wave and Applications, Vol. 19, No. 10, 1291-1306, 2005.
6. Qian, C. and W. B. Dou, "A new approach for measuring permittivity of dielectric materials," Journal Electromagnetic Wave and Applications, Vol. 19, No. 6, 795-810, 2005.
7. Miller, E. K. (ed.), Time Domain Measurements in Electromagnetics, Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, 1986.
8. Strickland, J., Time Domain Reflectometry Measurements, Tektronix, 1970.