This study analyzes polarizability properties of spherically layered small inclusions that possess negative permittivity. Conditions for invisibility to external electric fields are derived. The complementary principle for two-dimensional scatterers is used to derive special properties of self-complementary inclusions. A singular behavior between the limits of invisibility and infinite response is underlined for a hollow circular shell. A similar,although not as drastic,phenomenon is shown to take place for the three-dimensional hollow sphere.
2. Sihvola, A., "Character of surface plasmons in layered spherical structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 62, 317-331, 2006.
3. Fredkin, D. R. and I. D. Mayergoyz, "Resonant behavior of dielectric objects (electrostatic resonances)," Physica Review Letters, Vol. 91, No. 25, 2003.
4. Pendry, J. B., "Negative refraction makes a perfect lens," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 85, 3966-3969, 2000.
5. Smith, D. R., J. B. Pendry, and M. C. K. Wiltshire, "Metamaterials and negative refractive index," Science, Vol. 305, 788-792, 2004.
6. Veselago, V. G., "The electrodynamics of substances with simultaneously negative values of and Î¼," Soviet Physics Uspekhi, Vol. 10, No. 4, 509-514, 1968.
7. Grzegorczyk, T. M. (ed.), Special Issue on Metamaterials exhibiting left-handed properties and negative refraction, Vol. 51, Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 51, 2005.
8. Al`u, A. and N. Engheta, "Achieving transparency with plasmonic and metamaterial coatings," Physical Review E, Vol. 72, 016623, 2005.
9. Pendry, J. B., D. Schurig, and D. R. Smith, "Controlling electromagnetic fields," Science, 2006.
10. Leonhardt, U., "Optical conformal mapping," Science, 2006.
11. Schurig, D., J. J. Mock, B. J. Justice, S. A. Cummer, J. B. Pendry, A. F. Starr, and D. R. Smith, "Metamaterial electromagnetic cloak at microwave frequencies," Sciencexpress, 2006.
12. Greenleaf, A., Y. Kurylev, M. Lassas, and G. Uhlmann, "Fullwave invisibility of active devices at all frequencies," ArXiv, 2006.
13. Sihvola, A., Electromagnetic Mixing Formulas and Applications, IEE Publishing, London, 1999.
14. Keller, J. B., "Conductivity of a medium containing a dense array of perfectly conducting spheres or cylinders or nonconducting cylinders," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 34, No. 4, 991-993, 1963.
15. Mendelson, K. S., "A theorem on the effective conductivity of a two-dimensional heterogeneous medium," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 46, No. 11, 4740-4741, 1975.
16. Sihvola, A. and J. Venermo, "Boosting numerical accuracy in calculation of polarizability of two-dimensional scatterers," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 47, No. 5, 60-65, 2005.
17. Sihvola, A. and I. V. Lindell, "Transmission line analogy for calculating the effective permittivity of mixtures with spherical multilayer scatterers," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 2, No. 8, 741-756, 1988.