This paper studies the performance appraisal of radiation performance of ultra low sidelobe level Active Phased Array Antennas in presence of Multilayer Flat Sandwich Radome. Further, the effect of errors introduced due to amplitude/phase quantisation and planarity of the array surface, on the radiation performance has been studied. Based on these errors, manufacturing tolerances of the Flat Sandwich Radome have been suggested to control the deterioration of radiation performance within tolerable limits. This work is expected to be useful in development/manufacturing of radomes for Active Phased Array Radars and similar applications where ultra low sidelobe levels are required to be maintained.
2. Kozakoff, D. J., Analysis ofR adome-Enclosed Antennas, Artech House, 1997.
3. Skolnik, M. I., Non-uniform Arrays, 227-234, R. E. Collin and F. J. Zucker (eds.), Ch. 6, 227-234, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1969.
4. Steinberg, B. D., Principles ofAp erture and Array Systems Design, John Wiley and Sons, New York, 1976.
5. Mailloux, R. J., Phased Array Antenna Handbook, Artech House, 2005.
6. Miller, C. J., Minimizing the effects of phase quantization errors in an electronically scanned array, Proc. 1964 Symp. Electronically Scanned Phased Arrays and Applications, 17-38, 1964.
7. Brookner, E., Practical Phased Array Antenna Systems, Artech House, 1991.
8. Smith, M. S. and Y. C. Guo, "A comparison of methods for randomising phase quantisation errors in phased arrays," IEEE Trans Antennas and Propagat., 6-12, 1983.
9. Revankar, U. K., K. S. Beenamole, K. Sreenivasulu, and K. M. Veerabhadra, "Sidelobe minimisation in active phased arrays," IETE Tech. Review, 191-196, 2001.
10. Li, L.-W., L. Zhou, M. S. Leong, T.-S. Yeo, and P. S. Kooi, "An open-ended circular waveguide with an infinite conducting flange covered by a dielectric hemi-spherical radome shell: Fullwave analysis and Green dyadics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 21, 221-245, 1999.
11. Li, L.-W. and W.-X. Zhang, "Electromagnetic scattering of a thin circular loop enclosed by a spherical chiral radome shell: A method of moments analysis," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 35, 141-163, 2002.
12. Nie, X.-C., N. Yuan, L.-W. Li, T.-S. Yeo, and Y.-B. Gan, "Fast analysis of electromagnetic transmission through arbitrary shaped airborne radomes using precorrected-FFT method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 54, 37-59, 2005.
13. Revankar, U. K., A. Kedar, V. Saravana Kumar, and K. S. Beenamole, "Effect of thickness variation of flat sandwich radome on array pattern performance in S-band," Int. Radar Symp. India, 2005.