Cellular communications using high altitude platforms (HAPs) will predominate the existing conventional terrestrial or satellite systems but requires some optimization especially in the cellular radio coverage design. The design of HAPs cellular system suffers from increasing cell area when directing the same beam to cover lower elevation regions and therefore requires some modification in its location. In this paper either spot-beam antennas or antenna phased arrays are used in the radio coverage which are optimized in directing their beams to satisfy mostly uniform cellular layout with minimal coverage problems such as coverage gaps between cells or excessive cells overlap. The cells locations determination is done through proposed algorithm that takes into consideration the cell area increase at lower elevation angles and provides mostly uniform radio coverage especially at the cell edges.
2. Hadhoud, M., M. Dessouky, M. Nofal, and Y. Albagory, Twodimensional switched-beam smart antennas for stratospheric platform cellular communications, Proceeding of the IEEE International Conference on Software, No. 10, 9-14, 2001.
3. Nofal, M., M. Dessouky, M. Hadhoud, and Y. Albagory, A novel cellular structure for the stratospheric platform mobile communications, Proceeding of the Nineteenth National Radio Science Conference (19th NRSC' 2002), No. 3, 19-21, 2002.
4. Nofal, M., M. Dessouky, M. Hadhoud, and Y. Albagory, Performance and feasibility of different switched-beam antennas for the stratospheric platform mobile communications covering newly developing regions, Proceeding of the Nineteenth National Radio Science Conference (19th NRSC' 2002), No. 3, 19-21, 2002.
5. Dessouky, M., M. Nofal, H. Sharshar, and Y. Albagory, Modeling and investigating the rotational motion effects of the high altitude platforms, 22nd National Radio Science Conference (NRSC 2005), 15-17, 2005.
6. El-Jabu, B. and R. Steele, "Cellular communications using aerial platforms," IEEE Trans. on Vehicular Tech., Vol. 50, No. 3, 2001.
7. Sanyal, S. K., Q. M. Alfred, and T. Chakravarty, "A novel beamswitching algorithm for programmable phased array antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 60, 187-196, 2006.
8. Mouhamadou, M., P. Vaudon, and M. Rammal, "Smart antenna array patterns synthesis: Null steering and multi-user beamforming by phase control," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 60, 95-106, 2006.