This paper presents a mode matching method to analyze axisymmetric coaxial discontinuity structures, commonly used in the permeability and/or permittivity measurement.By performing the mode matching procedures at all discontinuity interfaces, a set of general simultaneous equations are derived, which can be easily solved.The s parameters and field distribution in the structures are readily obtained from the solution to the simultaneous equations. As a preliminary preparation for the mode matching method, the propagation constants of all the sections in the structure have to be solved.A one-dimensional frequency domain finite difference method is presented in this paper to efficiently solve the propagation constants for the multi-layered axisymmetric structures. Numerical examples show that the results obtained from the method in this paper are in good agreement with those from other methods in the published literature papers, and the method presented here has much higher efficiency.
2. Weir, W. B., Automatic measurement of complex dielectric constant and permeability at microwave frequencies, Proc. IEEE, Vol. 62, No. 1, 33-36, 1974.
3. Belhadj-Tahar, N.-E.and A.F ourrier-Lamer, "Broad-band analysis of a coaxial discontinuity used for dielectric measurements," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 34, No. 3, 346-350, 1986.
4. Belhadj-Tahar, N.-E., A. Fourrier-Lamer, and H. de Chanterac, "Broad-band simultaneous measurement of complex permittivity and permeability using a coaxial discontinuity," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 38, No. 1, 1-7, 1990.
5. Obrzut, J.and A.Anop chenko, "Input impedance of a coaxial line terminated with a complex gap capacitance â€” numerical and experimental analysis," IEEE Trans. Instrum. Meas., Vol. 53, No. 4, 1197-1201, 2004.
6. Huang, J., K.W u, P.Morin, and C.Aky el, "Characterization of highly dispersive materials using composite coaxial cells: electromagnetic analysis and wideband measurement," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 44, No. 5, 770-777, 1996.
7. W exler, A., "Solution of waveguide discontinuities by modal analysis," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 15, No. 9, 508-517, 1967.
8. Eom, H.J., Y.C.Noh, and J.K.P ark, "Scattering analysis of a coaxial line terminated by a gap," IEEE Microwave and Guided Wave Letters, Vol. 8, No. 6, 218-219, 1998.
9. Da vidovich, M. V., "Full-wave analysis of coaxial mounting structure," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 47, No. 3, 265-270, 1999.
10. Wilkins, G. M., J.-F. Lee, and R. Mittra, "Numerical modeling of axisymmetric coaxial waveguide discontinuities," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 39, No. 8, 1323-1328, 1991.
11. Chen, Y., R.Mittra, and P.Harms, "Finite-difference timedomain algorithm for solving Maxwell's equations in rotationally symmetric geometries," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 44, No. 6, 832-839, 1996.
12. Yu, W., R.Mittra, and S.Dey, "Application of the nonuniform FDTD technique to analysis of coaxial discontinuity structures," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 49, No. 1, 207-209, 2001.
13. Holland, R., "Finite difference solutions of Maxwell's equations in generalized nonorthogonal coordinates," IEEE Trans. Nuc. Sci., Vol. NS-30, No. 6, 4589-4591, 1983.
14. Fusco, M., "FDTD algorithm in curvilinear coordinates," IEEE Trans on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 38, No. 1, 76-89, 1990.
15. Zhao, Y.J., K.L.W u, and K.K.M.Cheng, "A compact 2-D fullwave finite-difference frequency-domain method for general guided wave structures," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 50, No. 7, 1844-1848, 2002.
16. Pereda, J.A., A.V egas, and A.Prieto, "An improved compact 2D fullwave FDFD method for general guided wave structures," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 38, No. 4, 331-335, 2003.
17. Li, L.Y.and J.F.Mao, "An improved compact 2-D finitedifference frequency-domain method for guided wave structures," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 13, No. 12, 520-522, 2003.
18. Wang, B.Z., X.H.W ang, and W.Shao, "2D full-wave finitedifference frequency-domain method for lossy metal waveguide," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 42, No. 2, 158-161, 2004.
19. Haffa, S., D.Hollmann, and W.Wiesb eck, "The finite difference method for S-parameter calculation of arbitrary three-dimensional structures," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 40, No. 8, 1602-1610, 1992.
20. Bardi, I.and O.Biro, "An efficient finite-element formulation without spurious modes for anisotropic waveguides," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 39, No. 7, 1133-1139, 1991.
21. Angkaew, T., M.Matsuhara, and N.Kumagai, "Finite-element analysis of waveguide modes: a novel approach that eliminates spurious modes," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 35, No. 2, 117-123, 1987.
22. Williams, D.J., C.J.Railton, and D.J.Edw ards, A mathematical model of concentrically loaded coaxial structures and its EMC applications, 7th International Conference on Electromagnetic Compatibility, No. 8, 91-98, 1990.
23. Marcuvitz, N., Waveguide Handbook, Peter Peregrinus Ltd., London, 1986.
24. Kong, J. A., Electromagnetic Wave Theory, 2nd ed., Wiley, New York, 1990. 25.Andrews, L. C., Special Functions for Engineers and Applied Mathematicians, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1962.
26. Zhang, D.M.and C.F.F oo, "Theoretical analysis of the electrical and magnetic field distributions in a toroidal core with circular cross section," IEEE T MAGN, Vol. 35, No. 3, 1924-1931, 1999.
27. Labay, V.and J.Bornemann, "Matrix singular value decomposition for pole-free solutions of homogeneous matrix equations as applied to numerical modeling methods," IEEE Microwave and Guided Wave Letters, Vol. 2, No. 2, 49-51, 1992.
28. Amari, S. and J. Bornemann, "A pole-free modal field-matching technique for eigenvalue problems in electromagnetics," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 45, No. 9, 1649-1653, 1997.
29. Eleftheriades, G.V., A.S.Omar, L.P .B.Katehi, and G.M.Reb eiz, "Some important properties of waveguide junction generalized scattering matrices in the context of the mode matching technique," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 42, No. 10, 1896-1903, 1994.