In this paper a Polarized Optical Orthogonal Code (Polarized-OOC) is proposed by exploiting the polarization property of the fiber and the chip's polarization state. The polarized-OOC code is generated using the concept of Mark Position Difference (MPD) set. Polarized-OOC code cardinality is shown to be two times that of the conventional OOC which reflects an increase in the number of supported users. Furthermore, since the correlation properties of the constructed code are the same as that of conventional OOC, error rate performance is evaluated in the same way as in conventional OOC. Also, a simple procedure for fiber-induced polarization rotation compensation is introduced. We then use simulations to show that relative polarization axis misalignment between the desired user and interfering users leads to violation of the correlation properties of the proposed code.
2. Mossberg, T. W. and M. G. Raymer, "Optical Code-Division Multiplexing," Optics and Photonics News, No. 3, 2001.
3. Salehi, J., "Code division multiple access techniques in optical fiber networksâ€”Part I: Fundamental concepts," IEEE Trans. Comm., Vol. 37, No. 8, 1989.
4. Calvani, R., et al., "Polarization shift keying: An coherent transmission technique with differential heterodyne detection," Electron. Lett., Vol. 24, No. 5, 642-643, 1988.
5. Benedetto, S. and P. Poggiolini, "Theory of polarization shift keying," IEEE Transactions on Communications, Vol. 40, 708-721.
6. Poole, C. D., et al., "Phenomenological approach to polarization in long single-mode fibers," Electron. Lett., Vol. 22, No. 19, 1029-1030, 1986.
7. Cimini, L. G., et al., "Preservation of polarization orthogonality through a linear optical system," Electron. Lett., Vol. 23, No. 23, 1365-1366, 1987.
8. Poole, C. D., et al., "Polarization dispersion and principal states in a 147-km undersea lightwave cable," J. Lightwave Technology, Vol. 6, No. 7, 1185-1190, 1988.
9. Nichlson, G. and D. Tempe, "Polarization fluctuation measurements on installed single-mode fibre," J. Lightwave Technology, Vol. 7, 1197-1200, 1989.
10. Tarhuni, N., T. Korhonen, E. Mutafungwa, and M. Elmusrati, "Multi-class optical orthogonal codes for multi-service optical CDMA networks," Journal of Lightwave Tech., Vol. 24, No. 2, 2006.
11. Biswas, A. and S. Konar, "Theory of dispersion-managed optical solitons," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 50, 83-134, 2005.
12. Gordon, J. P. and H. Kogelnik, "PMD fundamentals: Polarization mode dispersion in optical fibers," PNAS, Vol. 97, No. 9, 2000.
13. Tarhuni, N., M. Elmusrati, and T. Korhonen, "Multi-class optical-CDMA network using optical power control," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 64, 279-292, 2006.