In this paper, we present a comparison study between phase-only and amplitude-phase synthesis of symmetrical dual-pattern linear antenna arrays using floating-point or real-valued genetic algorithms (GA). Examples include a sum pattern and a sector beam pattern. In the former, phase is only optimized with predetermined Gaussian amplitude distribution of fixed dynamic range ratio (|amax / amin|) and in the latter, both are optimized with less dynamic range ratio than the former and yet share a common amplitude distribution.
2. Bucci, O. M., G. Mazzarella, and G. Panariello, "Reconfigurable arrays by phase-only control," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 39, No. 7, 919-925, 1991.
3. Gies, D. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Particle swarm optimization for reonfigurable phase differentiated array design," Microwave and Opt. Technology Lett., Vol. 38, 168-175, 2003.
4. Chakrabarty, A., B. N. Das, and G. S. Sanyal, "Beam shaping using nonlinear phase distribution in a uniformly spaced array," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 30, 1031-1034, 1982.
5. Baskar, S., A. Alphones, and P. N. Suganthan, "Genetic algorithm based design of a reconfigurable antenna array with discrete phase shifter," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 45, 461-465, 2005.
6. Trastoy, A., Y. Rahmat-Samii, F. Ares, and E. Moreno, Two- pattern linear array antenna: synthesis and analysis of tolerance, IEE Proc. Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 151, 127-130, 2004.
7. Diaz, X., J. A. Rodriguez, F. Ares, and E. Moreno, "Design of phase-differentiated multiple-pattern antenna arrays," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 26, 52-53, 2000.
8. Michalewicz, Z., Genetic Algorithms + Data Structures, Springer- Verlag, New York, 1999.
9. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, Second edition, John Wiley and Sons (Asia), Singapore, 2003.