The design of a compact, single feed, dual frequency dual polarized and electronically reconfigurable microstrip antenna is presented in this paper. A square patch loaded with a hexagonal slot having extended slot arms constitutes the fundamental structure of the antenna. The tuning of the two resonant frequencies is realized by varying the effective electrical length of the slot arms by embedding varactor diodes across the slots. A high tuning range of 34.43% (1.037-1.394 GHz) and 9.27% (1.359-1.485 GHz) is achieved for the two operating frequencies respectively, when the bias voltage is varied from 0 to -30 V. The salient feature of this design is that it uses no matching networks even though the resonant frequencies are tuned in a wide range with good matching below -10 dB. The antenna has an added advantage of size reduction up to 80.11% and 65.69% for the two operating frequencies compared to conventional rectangular patches.
2. Shynu, S. V., G. Augustin, C. K. Aanandan, P. Mohanan, and K. Vasudevan, "A reconfigurable dual frequency slot loaded microstrip antenna controlled by pin-diodes," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 44, 374-376, 2005.
3. Huff, G. H., F. S. Zhang, and J. T. Bernhard, "A novel radiation pattern and frequency reconfigurable single turn square spiral microstrip antenna," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 13, 57-59, 1998.
4. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "A reconfigurable patch antenna using switchable slots for circular polarization diversity," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 12, 96-98, 2002.
5. Kolsrud, A. T., M. Y. Li, and K. Chang, "Dual-frequency electronically tunable CPW-fed CPS dipole antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 34, 609-611, 1998.
6. Shynu, S. V., G. Augustin, C. K. Aanandan, P. Mohanan, and K. Vasudevan, "A compact electronically reconfigurable dual frequency microstrip antenna for L-band applications," International Journal on Wireless and Optical Communications, Vol. 2, No. 2, 181-187, 2004.