A general method is proposed to frequency domain analysis of inhomogeneous two-dimensional periodic gratings. Each component of electromagnetic fields is expressed by several spatial harmonic plane waves. Then, two differential equations are obtained for the reflection and transmission matrices, using wave-splitting approach. Solving these equations gives us the co- and cross-polarized reflection and transmission coefficients. The method is studied using some examples.
2. Petit, R. (ed.), Electromagnetic Theory of Gratings, Springer- Verlag, Berlin, 1980.
3. Luneburg, E. and K. Westpfahl, "Diffraction of plane waves by an infinite plane grating," Ann. Phys., Vol. 27, 257-288, 1971.
4. Elachi, C. and C. Yen, "Periodic structures in integrated optics," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 44, 3146-3152, 1973.
5. Yasumoto, K. and T. Tanaka, "Radiative leakage of space-charge waves by a modulated thin-sheet electron beam propagating parallel to a reflection grating," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 62, 3543-3549, 1987.
6. Barrar, R. B. and R. M. Redheffer, "On nonuniform dielectric media," IRE Trans. Antennas Propag., 101-107, 1955.
7. Richmond, J. H., "Transmission through inhomogeneous plane layers," IRE Trans. Antennas Propag., 300-305, 1962.
8. Kastner, R. and Mittra, "A spectral-iteration technique for analyzing a corrugated-surface twist polarizer for scanning reflector antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, 673-676, 1982.
9. Zaki, K. A. and A. R. Neureuther, "Scattering from a perfect conducting surface with a sinusoidal height profile: TE polarization," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 19, 208-214, 1971.
10. Moharam, M. G. and T. K. Gaylord, "Three-dimensional vector coupled-wave analysis planar-grating diffraction," J. Opt. Soc. Am., Vol. 73, No. 9, 1105-1112, 1983.
11. Toscano, A., L. Vegni, and F. Bilotti, "A new efficient method of analysis for inhomogeneous media shields and filters," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., 394-399, 2001.
12. Khala j-Amirhosseini, M., "Analysis of lossy inhomogeneous planar layers using Taylor′s series expansion," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, 2006.
13. Forslund, O. and S. He, "Electromagnetic scattering from an inhomogeneous grating using a wave-splitting approach," Progress in Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 19, 147-171, 1998.