In this paper, a novel reconfigurable two-layer microstrip antenna fed using a coplanar waveguide through a slot/loop combination is investigated. The slot/loop combination allows for easy reconfigurability of the frequency band of operation by incorporating switches in the feed network. Furthermore, broad impedance bandwidths were obtained by using two substrate layers consisting of a high-εr substrate that contains the feed network and a low-εr substrate that contains two patches, one patch on either side of the substrate. The two substrates are not separated by a ground plane. Impedance bandwidths of about 23% were obtained for two selectable frequency bands using two switches. The two frequency bands obtained for the parameters chosen in this paper are 8.73-10.95 GHz and 7.68-9.73 GHz.
2. Garg, R., P. Bhartia, I. Bahl, and A. Ittipiboon, Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 2001.
3. Wu, S. C., N. G. Alexopoulos, and O. Fordham, "Feeding structure contribution to radiation by patch antennas with rectangular boundaries," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. AP-40, 1245-1249, 1992.
4. Benalla, A. and K. C. Gupta, "Transmission line model for two-port rectangular microstrip patches with ports at the non-radiating edges," Electronics Letters, Vol. 23, 882-884, 1987.
5. Pozar, D. M. and B. Kaufmann, "Increasing the bandwidth of a microstrip antenna by proximity coupling," Electronics Letters, Vol. 23, 368-369, 1987.
6. Katehi, P. B. and N. G. Alexopoulos, "On the modeling of electromagnetically coupled microstrip antennas &151 The printed strip dipole," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. AP-32, 1179-1186, 1984.
7. Pozar, D. M., "A microstrip antenna aperture Coupled to a microstrip line," Electronics Letters, Vol. 22, 49-50, 1985.
8. Gronau, G. and I. Wolff, "Aperture-coupling of a rectangular microstrip resonator," Electronics Letters, Vol. 22, 554-556, 1986.
9. Sullivan, P. L. and D. H. Schaubert, "Analysis of an aperture coupled microstrip antenna," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. AP-34, 977-984, 1986.
10. Pozar, D. M., "Microstrip antennas," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 80, 79-91, 1992.
11. Richards, W. F., et al., "Experimental and theoretical investigations of the inductances associated with microstrip antenna feeds," Electromagnetics, Vol. 3, No. 3-4, 327-346, 1983.
12. Aberle, J. T. and D. M. Pozar, "Analysis of infinite arrays of probe-fed rectangular microstrip antennas using a rigorous feed model," Proc. IEE, Vol. 136, 110-119, 1989.
13. Damiano, J. P. and A. Papiernik, "Survey of analytical and numerical models for probe-fed microstrip antennas," IEE Proc., Vol. 141, 15-22, 1999.
14. Hall, P. S., "Probe compensation in thick microstrip patches," Electronics Letters, Vol. 23, 606-607, 1987.
15. Menzel, W. and W. Grabherr, "A microstrip patch antenna with coplanar line feed," IEEE Microwave and Guided Wave Letters, Vol. 1, 340-342, 1991.
16. Smith, R. and J. T. Williams, "Coplanar waveguide feed for microstrip patch antennas," Electronics Letters, Vol. 28, 2272-2274, 1992.
17. Deng, S. M., M. D. Wu, and P. Hsu, "Analysis of coplanar waveguide-fed microstrip antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 43, No. 7, 734-737, 1995.
18. Giauffret, L., J. Laheurte, and A. Papiernik, "Study of various shapes of the coupling slot in CPW-fed microstrip antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 45, No. 4, 642-647, 1997.
19. Weigand, S., G. H. Huff, K. H. Pan, and J. T. Bernhard, "Analysis and design of broad-band single-layer rectangular U-slot microstrip patch antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 3, 457-468, 2003.
20. Ayoub, A. F. A., "Analysis of rectangular microstrip antennas with air substrates," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 17, No. 12, 1665-1817, 2003.
21. Wang, Y. J. and C. K. Lee, "Compact and broadband microstrip patch antenna for the 3G IMT-2000 handsets applying styrofoam and shorting-posts," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 47, 75-85, 2004.
22. Kumar, G. and K. C. Gupta, "Nonradiating edges and four edges gap-coupled multiple resonator broadband microstrip antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. AP-33, 173-178, 1985.