A very efficient and accurate method to characterize the electromagnetic scattering from periodic arrays of two-dimensional composite cylindrical ob jects with internal eccentric cylindrical scatterers is presented, using the lattice sums formula and the aggregate T-matrix for cylindrical structures. The method is quite general and applies to various configurations of two-dimensional periodic arrays. The dielectric host cylinder per unit cell of the array can contain two or more eccentric cylindrical scatterers (we call them inclusions in this paper), which may be dielectric, conductor, gyrotropic medium, or their mixture with different sizes. The power reflection coefficients from one-layer or one-hundred-layered periodic arrays of composite cylinders with up to two inclusions have been numerically studied. The effect of the presence of inclusions on the properties of resonance peaks or the stopband's width will be discussed.
2. Petit, R. (ed.), Electromagnetic Theory of Grating, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1980.
3. Roussel, H., C. W. Chew, F. Jouvie, and W. Tabbara, "Electromagnetic scattering from dielectric and magnetic gratings of fibers A T-matrix solution," J. Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 10, No. 1, 109-127, 1996.
4. Scherer, A., T. Doll, E. Yablonovitch, H. O. Everitt, and J. A. Higgins (eds.), "Special section on electromagnetic crystal structures, design, synthesis, and applications," J. Lightwave Technol., Vol. 17, No. 11, 1928-2207, 1999.
5. , ``Mini-special issue on electromagnetic crystal structures[#COMMA] design[#COMMA] synthesis[#COMMA], "Mini-special issue on electromagnetic crystal structures, design, synthesis, and applications," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 47, No. 11, 2057-2150, 1999.
6. Yasumoto, K. and K. Yoshitomi, "Efficient calculation of lattice sums for free-space periodic green's function," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 47, No. 6, 1050-1055, 1999.
7. Chew, C. W., Waves and Fields in Inhomogeneous Media, Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, 1990.
8. Kushta, T. and K. Yasumoto, "Electromagnetic scattering from periodic arrays of two circular cylinders per unit cell," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 29, 69-85, 2000.
9. Nicorovici, A. N. and C. R. McPhedran, "Lattice sums for off-axis electromagnetic scattering by grating," Phys. Rev. E., Vol. 50, No. 4, 3143-3160, 1994.
10. Toyama, H., K. Yasumoto, and T. Iwasaki, "Electromagnetic scattering from a dielectric cylinder with multiple eccentric cylindrical inclusions," Progress In Electromagnetics Reseach, Vol. 40, 113-129, 2003.
11. Yasumoto, K., "Generalized method for electromagnetic scattering by two-dimensional periodic discrete composites using lattice sums," Proceedings of 2000 International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology, No. 9, 29, 2002.
12. Yasumoto, K., H. Toyama, and T. Kushta, "Accurate analysis of two-dimensional electromagnetic scattering from multilayered periodic arrays of circular cylinders using lattice sums technique," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 10, 2603-2611, 2004.