This paper describes the design of a three-dimensional (3D) finite-difference time-domain (FDTD) simulation software for printed circuit board (PCB) modeling. The flow, the dynamics and important algorithms of the FDTD simulation engine will be shown. The software is developed using ob ject-oriented programming (OOP) approach, to enable code reuse and ease of upgrade in future. The paper begins by looking at how a 3D PCB structure is created using cubes, and proceed to show the inclusion of various lumped components such as resistors, capacitor, inductor and active semiconductor components into the model. The architecture of the FDTD simulation program is then carefully explained. Finally a few sample simulation examples using the software will be illustrated at the end of the paper.
2. Piket-May, M. J., A. Taflove, and J. Baron, "FD-TD modeling of digital signal propagation in 3-D circuits with passive and active loads," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 42, No. 8, 1514-1523, 1994.
3. Taflove, A., Computational Electrodynamics â€” The finite- difference time-domain method, Artech House, 1995.
4. Ciampolini, P., P. Mezzanotte, L. Roselli, and R. Sorrentino, "Accurate and efficient circuit simulation with lumped-element FDTD technique," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Tech- niques, Vol. 44, No. 12, 2207-2214, 1996.
5. Kuo, C., B. Houshmand, and T. Itoh, "Full-wave analysis of packaged microwave circuits with active and nonlinear devices: An FDTD approach," IEEE Trans. Microwave Thoery and Techniques, Vol. 45, No. 5, 819-826, 1997.
6. Kung, F. and H. T. Chuah, "Modeling a diode in FDTD," J. of Electromagnetic Waves and Appl., Vol. 16, No. 1, 99-110, 2002.
7. Kung, F. and H. T. Chuah, "Modeling of bipolar junction transistor in FDTD simulation of printed circuit board," Progress in Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 36, 179-192, 2002.
8. Strikwerda, J. C., Finite Difference Schemes and Partial Differential Equations, Wadsworth & Brooks/Cole Mathematics Series, 1989.
9. Kung, F., "Modeling of electromagnetic waves propagation in printed circuit board and related structures," Ph.D. thesis, No. 5, 2003.
10. Kung, F. and H. T. Chuah, "Stability of classical finite-difference time-domain (FDTD) formulation with nonlinear elements â€” a new perspective," Progress in Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 42, 49-89, 2003.
11. Luebbers, R. J. and F. Hunsberger, "FDTD for Nth-order dispersive media," IEEE Trans. Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 40, No. 11, 1297-1301, 1992.
12. Sullivan, D. M., "Z-transform theory and the FDTD method," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Techniques, Vol. 43, No. 3, 676-682, 1995.
13. Massobrio, G. and P. Antognetti, Seminconductor Device Modeling with SPICE, 2nd edition, McGraw-Hill, 1993.
14. Strauss, R., Surface Mount Technology, Butterworth-Heinemann, 1994.
15. Murray III, W. H. and C. H. Pappas, Borland C++ in Depth, McGraw-Hill, 1996.
16. http://pesona.mmu.edu.my/ ~wlkung/winfdtd_exe.zip, http://pesona.mmu.edu.my/ ~wlkung/winfdtd_exe.zip.
17. Blood, W. R., MECL System Design Handbook, 3rd edition, Motorola Semiconductor Products Inc., 1980.
18. Johnson, H. W. and M. Graham, High-Speed Digital Design â€” A handbook of black magic, Prentice Hall, 1993.
19. Smith, J. R., Modern Communication Circuits, 2nd edition, McGraw-Hill, 1998.
20. Phillips Semiconductor, BFG520; BFG520/X, BFG520/XR, NPN 9 GHz wideband transistor, Technical Data, www.semiconductors.com, 1997.
21. Agilent Technologies, Surface mount RF Schottky barrier diodes: HSMS-282x series, Technical Data, www.semiconductor.agilent.com, 2000.
22. Robertson, I. D. and S. Lucyszyn, RFIC and MMIC Design and Technology, The Institution of Electrical Engineers, 2001.
23. Taflove, A. (ed.), Advances in Computational Electrodynamics â€” The finite-difference time-domain method, Artech House, 1998.
24. Kirschning, M. and R. H. Jansen, "Accurate wide-range design equations for frequency-dependent characteristic of parallel coupled microstrip lines," IEEE Trans. Microwave Thoery and Techniques, Vol. a correction of the paper appears on 33 on the same journal, 83-90, 1984.
25. Duran, P. A., A Practical Guide to Analog Behavioral Modeling for IC System Design, Kluwer Academics Publishers, 1998.