In 2002, the MASAR (Malaysian Airborne Synthetic Aperture Radar) pro ject was initiated at Multimedia University (MMU), in collaboration with the Malaysian Centre for Remote Sensing (MACRES). The main ob jective of this pro ject is to construct an instrument for earth resource monitoring in Malaysia. The proposed SAR system is a C-band, single polarization, linear FM radar. This paper outlines the ma jor design issues and considerations for MASAR. In particular, the design and construction of the microwave system, microstrip antenna, and a high-speed data recording system are described. The SAR processing algorithm which incorporates motion compensation capability for high resolution image generation is also outlined.
2. Ulaby, F. T., R. K. Moore, and A. K. Fung, Microwave Remote Sensing: Active and Passive, Vol. 1, Artech House, Norwood, 1981.
3. Chan, Y. K., M. K. Azlindawaty, V. Gobi, B. K. Chung, and H. T. Chuah, The design and development of airborne synthetic aperture radar, Proc. IGRASS 2000, Vol. 2, No. 7, 518-520, 2000.
4., International Telecommunication Union's (ITU) World Radio- communication Conference 1997 (WRC-97). , ITU WRC, 1997.
5. Ulaby, F. T. and M. C. Dobson, Handbook of Radar Scattering Statistics for Terrain, Artech House, Norwood, 1989.
6. Wiley, "C. A. Synthetic aperture radarâ€”A paradigm for technology evolution," IEEE Trans. Aerospace Elec. Sys., Vol. 21, 440-443, 1985.
7. Holtzman, J. C., V. S. Frost, J. L. Abott, and V. H. Kaupp, "Radar image simulation," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sensing, Vol. 16, No. 4, 296-303, 1978.
8. Dente, F. and F. Vinelli, A model and a software tool for SAR product and system simulation: Practical application examples, Proc. IGARSS '92, 94-96, 1992.
9. Franceschetti, G., M. Miglaccio, D. Riccio, and G. Schirinzi, "SARAS: A SAR raw signal simulator," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sensing, Vol. 30, No. 1, 110-123, 1992.
10. Christensen, E. L. and M. Dich, SAR antenna design for ambiguity and multipath suppression, Proc. IGARSS '3, Vol. 2, 784-787, 1993.
11. Balanis, C. A., Analysis and Design, Antenna Theory, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1997.
12. Hansen, R. C., Phased Array Antennas, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1997.
13. Chan, Y. K., B. K. Chung, and H. T. Chuah, "Transmitter and receiver design of an experimental airborne synthetic aperture radar sensor," Progress in Electromagnetics Research, Vol. PIER 49, 203-218, 2004.
14. Gabor, D., "A new microscope principle," Nature, Vol. 161, 1948.
15. Goodman, J., Introduction to Fourier Optics, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1968.
16. Soumekh, M., Synthetic Aperture Radar Signal Processing with Matlab Algorithms, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1999.
17. Kaith, R., "Synthetic aperture imaging radar and moving targets," IEEE Trans. Aerospace Elec. Sys., Vol. 7, No. 3, 499-505, 1971.
18. Koo, V. C., T. S. Lim, M. C. Rao, and H. T. Chuah, "A GA-based autofocus technique for correcting high-frequency SAR phase error," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 18, No. 6, 781-795, 2004.