The objective of the paper is to develop a compact and broadband microstrip patch antenna for the IMT-2000 mobile handset application. By parasitically coupling two shorted semi-disc patches with a single shorting-post each and employing Styrofoam substrate with low dielectric constant, an overall impedance bandwidth of 17.8% has been achieved to cover the frequency spectra of 1.862-2.225 GHz. The overall dimension of this proposed antenna is 44.4mm(length) Ã— 37.8mm(width) Ã— 7mm (thickness), and it would be suitable for the IMT-2000 mobile handset application. The typical antenna characteristics are presented and analysed theoretically and experimentally.
2. Gupta, K. C. and A. Benalla (eds.), Microstrip Antenna Design, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 1988.
3. Waterhouse, R. B., "Broadband stacked shorted patch," Electron. Lett., Vol. 35, No. 2, 98-100, 1999.
4. Pozar, D. M., Microstrip antennas, IEEE Proc., Vol. 80, No. 1, 79-91, 1992.
5. James, J. R., P. S. Hall, and C. Wood, Microstrip Antennas Theory and Design, Peter Peregrinus, London, 1981.
6. James, J. R. and P. S. Hall, Handbook of Microstrip Antennas, Peter Peregrinus, London, 1989.
7. Fujmoto, K. and J. R. James (eds.), Mobile Antenna Systems Handbook, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 1989.
8. Rowley, J. T. and R. B. Waterhouse, "Performance of shorted microstrip patch antennas for mobile communications handsets at 1800 MHz," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 47, No. 5, 815-822, 1999.
9. Slobodzian, P. and R. Borowiec, "Microstrip antenna for cellular and wireless communication systems," Microwave Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 34, No. 5, 380-384, 2002.
10. Delaveaud, C., P. Leveque, and B. Jecko, "New kind of microstrip antenna: the monopolar wire-patch antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 30, No. 1, 1-2, 1994.
11. Waterhouse, R. B., "Small microstrip patch antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 31, No. 4, 604-605, 1995.
12. Waterhouse, R. B., S. D. Targoniski, and D. M. Kokotoff, "Design and performance of small printed antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 46, No. 11, 1629-1633, 1998.
13. Waterhouse, R. B. and D. M. Kokotoff, "Novel technique to improve manufacturing ease of shorted patches," Microwave Opt. Tech. Lett., No. 1, 37-40, 1998.
14. Kan, H. K. and R. B. Waterhouse, "Size reduction technique for shorted patches," Electron. Lett., Vol. 35, No. 12, 948-949, 1999.
15. Sanad, M., Effect of the shorting posts on short circuit microstrip antennas, Proc. IEEE Antennas Propag. Symp., No. 6, 794-797, 1994.
16. IMT-2000, Radio Communication Bureau, Radio Communication Bureau, Vol. 1997, Vol. 1997.
17. Mistry, P. M., Third generation cellular (3G): W-CDMA & TDCDMA, Proc. of 1998 WESCON Conf., 15-17, 1998.
18. Ansoft Ensemble 7.0.1, Planar EM Simulation Software for RF & Wireless Design, Planar EM Simulation Software for RF & Wireless Design, Ansoft Corporation, 2001.
19. Wang, K. L., C. L. Tang, and H. T. Chen, "A compact meandered circular microstrip antenna with a shorting pin," Microwave Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 15, 147-149, 1997.
20. Wang, Y. J. and C. K. Lee, "Design of dual-frequency microstrip patch antennas and application for IMT-2000 mobile handsets," Progress in Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 36, 265-278, 2002.
21. Kuo, Y. L. and K. L. Wang, "Coplanar waveguide-fed folded kinverted F antenna for UMTS application," Microwave Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 32, 364-366, 2002.
22. Wang, Y. J., C. K. Lee, W. J. Koh, and Y. B. Gan, "Design of small and broadband internal antennas for IMT-2000 mobile handsets.'',".