The field-to-cable coupling cross section is proposed to evaluate the coupling performance of a single-braided coaxial cable. In addition, a new definition for the coax shielding effectiveness is suggested. Both the coupling cross section and the shielding effectiveness of a 1.25 m-length RG 58 C/U 50Î© coax are measured byemplo ying both the mode-tuned reverberation chamber and GTEM cell methodologies. The detailed measurement set-ups and results are presented. The mode-tuned reverberation chamber methodologyis proven to be beneficial for assessing the cable shielding and coupling characteristics over a wide frequencyrange.
2. Jesch, R. L., "Measurement of shielding effectiveness of cable and shielding configuration bymo de-stirred techniques," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 30, No. 3, 222-228, 1988.
3. Crawford, M. L. and J. M. Ladbury, Mode-stirred chamber for measuring shielding effectiveness of cable and connectors an assessment of MIL-STD-1344A Method 3008, Proc. of IEEE International Symposium on EMC, 30-36, 1988.
4. Johnson, D. M. and M. O. Hatfield, Mode-stirred chamber shielding effectiveness testing of a multiconductor cable assembly, Proc. of IEEE International Symposium on EMC, 396-400, 1995.
5. Lo, Y. T. and S. W. Lee (Eds.), Antenna Handbook, Chapman & Hall, New York, 1993.
6. Hill, D. A., "Plane wave integral representation for fields in reverberation chambers," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 40, No. 3, 209-217, 1998.
7. Harris, J. M., A comparison on bulk cable current injection and radiated field susceptibilitytest methods, Proc. of IEEE International Symposium on EMC, No. 8, 67-72, 1993.
8. Backstrom, M., J. Loren, G. Eriksson, and H. Asander, Microwave coupling into a generic object: properties of measured angular receiving pattern and its significance for testing, Proc. of 2001 IEEE International Symposium on EMC, No. 8, 1227-1232, 2001.
9. Mcmahon, A. T., J. Weber, A. Prothe, and A. Pesta, Shielding effectiveness measurements for an SHF/EHF field-to-wire coupling model, Proc. of IEEE 1989 National Symposium on EMC, 414-417, 1989.
10. Silfverskiold, S., M. Backstrom, and J. Loren, "Microwave foldto wire coupling measurements in anechoic and reverberation chambers," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 44, No. 1, 222-232, 2002.
11. MIL-STD-285, "Method of attenuation measurements for enclosures, electromagnetic shielding, for electronic test purposes," IEEE-TD-299, 1997.