The analysis of electromagnetic scattering from cavity structure is very important to many practical applications. The field iterative method (FIM) is one of the promising methods to deal with the cavity problem. In this paper, 3-dimensional (3D) FIM has been implemented using Rao-Wilton-Glisson (RWG) basis function and an accurate equivalent model of the cavity. Two testing procedures, a newly developed point matching and conventional Galerkin's methods, have been discussed for better and simpler implementation of the 3D FIM. Numerical results show that the accuracy of the 3D implementation of FIM using the newly developed point matching method is the same as that of the conventional Galerkin's method. The numerical results also show that the simpler implementation of 3D FIM using the point matching method converges very fast for all the tested cases.
2. Liang, C. H. and D. K. Cheng, "Electromagnetic field coupled into a cavity with a slot-aperture under resonant conditions," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 30, 664-672, 1982.
3. Ling, H., R. Chou, and S. W. Lee, "Shooting and bouncing rays: Calculating RCS of an arbitrary cavity," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 37, No. 2, 194-205, 1989.
4. Burkholder, R. J. and P. H. Pathak, "High-frequency electromagnetic scattering by open-ended waveguide cavities," Radio Sci., Vol. 26, No. 2, 211-218, 1991.
5. Basteiro, F. O., J. L. Rodriguez, and R. J. Burkholder, "An iterative physical optics approach for analyzing the electromagnetic scattering by large open-ended cavities," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 43, No. 4, 356-361, 1995.
6. Jin, J. M. and J. L. Volakis, "A finite elementboundary integral formulation for scattering by three-dimensional cavity-backed apertures," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 39, No. 1, 97-104, 1991.
7. Jin, J. M., The Finite Element Method in Electromagnetics, Wiley, New York, 1993.
8. Jin, J. M., "Electromagnetic scattering from large, deep, and arbitrarily-shaped open cavities," Electromagn., Vol. 18, No. 1, 3-34, 1998.
9. Liu, J. and J. M. Jin, "A special higher order finite-element method for scattering by deep cavities," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 48, No. 5, 697-703, 2000.
10. Liu, J., E. Dunn, P. Baldensperger, and J. M. Jin, "Computation of radar cross section of jet engine inlet," Microwave Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 33, No. 5, 322-325, 2002.
11. Wang, T. M. and H. Ling, "Electromagnetics scattering from three-dimensional cavities via a connection scheme," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 39, No. 10, 1505-1513, 1991.
12. Wang, T. M. and H. Ling, "A connection scheme on the problem of EM scattering from arbitrary cavities," J. Electromagn. Waves Appl., Vol. 5, No. 3301-314, 3301-314, 1991.
13. Reuster, D. D. and G. A. Thiele, "A field iterative method for computing the scattering electric field at the apertures of large perfectly conducting cavities," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 43, No. 3, 286-290, 1995.
14. Wang, C. F., Y. B. Gan, T. H. Chien, and L. W. Li, "On the field iterative method for modeling of two-dimensional large aperture open-ended cavity," J. Electromagn. Waves Appl., Vol. 17, No. 8, 1113-1130, 2003.
15. Wang, C. F., Y. B. Gan, and G. A. Thiele, "Field iterative method based on an accurate equivalent model of cavity," Technical Report No.: TL/EM/03/004, No. '' Technical Report : TL/EM/03/004, 2003.
16. Wang, C. F., Y. B. Gan, and G. A. Thiele, "An accurate equivalent model for field iterative method," IEEE APS Int. Symp. Dig., Vol. 2, 338-341, 2003.
17. Rao, S. M., D. R. Wilton, and A. W. Glisson, "Electromagnetic scattering by surface of arbitrary shape," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 30, No. 5, 409-418, 1982.
18. Harrington, R. F., Time Harmonic Electromagnetic Fields, 106, 106- 110, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1961.
19. Balanis, C. A., Advanced Engineering Electromagnetics, Wiley, New York, 1989.
20. Chew, W. C., Waves and Fields in Inhomogeneous Media, Van Nostand Reinhold, New York, 1990, Reprinted by IEEE Press, 1995.
21. Harrington, R. F., Field Computation by Moment Methods, Macmillan, New York, 1968.
22. Lee, C. S. and S. W. Lee, "RCS of a coated circular waveguide terminated by a perfect conductor," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 35, No. 4, 391-398, 1987.