A simple method is presented to obtain the scattering parameters of the two dimensional tapered dielectric waveguide, by discrete approximation to tapering, consisting of series of steps. The two dimensional step discontinuity of the junction of two different dielectric rectangular waveguides has been solved using integral equation arising from the field matching of the discrete modes and the continuous spectrum. Accurate numerical solution has been obtained using Ritz-Galerkin variational approach with appropriate sets of expanding functions. The results in the form of scattering parameters for varying tapered length have been depicted graphically. Computed results from generalized integral expressions are found to be in excellent agreement with results obtained in two-dimensional case. With this method it is possible to design the structure to enlarge the cross section of a mode in a slow and controlled manner.
2. Miyanaga, S. and T. Asakura, "Intensity profiles of outgoing beams from tapered grating couplers," Radio Sci., Vol. 17, No. 2, 135-143, 1982.
3. Rozzi, T. E., "Rigorous analysis of step discontinuity in planar waveguide," IEEE Trans. MTT, Vol. 6, No. 2, 738-746, 1978.
4. Rozzi, T. E. and G. H. In'tVeld, "Field and network analysis of interacting step discontinuities in planar dielectric waveguides," IEEE Trans. MTT, Vol. 27, No. 4, 303-309, 1979.
5. Asok De, G. V. Attimarad, and J. Sharma, "Numerical analysis of the single step discontinuity in the two dimensional dielectric waveguide," J. of Electromagnetic waves and Applications, Vol. 17, No. 6, 885-900, 2003.
6. Abrahamwitz, M. and I. Stegan, Handbook of Mathematical Functions, Dover Publications, New York, 1972.
7. Collin, R. F., Foundations for microwave engineering, McGraw- Hill, Inc., New York, 1992.