An analytical model of a grid composed of small S-shaped conducting particles located on the surface of a dielectric slab is presented. This approach replaces the original one-layer structure with metallic particles printed on the interface by a multilayered structure with homogenized permittivities for each layers. This way one can homogenize the arrays of small resonant particles. The analytical model is verified by numerical simulations for the case of normal incidence of the plane wave. The homogenization is possible due to the small sizes of S-particles compared to the resonant wavelength in the substrate and due to the small thickness of the whole structure.
2. Vincent, D., B. Bayard, B. Sauviac, and G. Noyel, Optimisation des performances d'un isolateur coplanaire `a couche magnetique, Proc. Journees Caracterisation Microondes et Materiaux, 20-22, 2002.
3. Kharadly, M. M. Z. and W. Jackson, The properties of artificial dielectrics comprising arrays of conducting elements, Proc. Electr. Engrs., Vol. 100, 199-219, 1952.
4. Collin, R. E., Field Theory of Guided Waves, IEEE Press, NY, 1992.
5. Chang, W. H., Infinite phased bipole arrays, Proc. IEEE, Vol. 56, 1892-1900, 1966.
6. Anderson, I., "On the theory of self-resonant grids," The Bell System Technical Journal, Vol. 55, No. 12, 1725-173, 1975.
7. Chekroun, C., D. Herrick, Y. Michel, R. Pauchard, and P. Vidal, "RADANT: new method of electronic scanning," Microwave Journal, Vol. 59, No. 12, 45-53, 1979.
8. Simovski, C. R., S. A. Tretyakov, A.A. Sochava, B. Sauviac, F. Mariotte, and T. G. Kharina, "Antenna model for conductive omega particles," J. of Electromagnetic Waves Applic., Vol. 11, No. 11, 1509-1530, 1997.
9. Norgren, M. and S. He, "Electromagnetic reflection and transmission for a dielectric-omega interface and an omega-slab," Int. J. Infrared Millim. Waves, No. 7, 1537-1554, 1994.
10. Lindell, I., A. H. Sihvola, S. A. Tretyakov, and A. J. Viitanen, Electromagnetic Waves in Chiral and Bi-Isotropic Media, Artech House, London, 1994.
11. Kharina, T. G., S. A. Tretyakov, C. R. Simovski, A. A. Sochava, and S. Bolioli, "Experimental study of artificial omega media," Electromagnetics, No. 4, 1998.
12. Munn, R. W., "On the multilayer dipole structures," J. Chem. Phys., 4532-4537, 2001.
13. Mahan, G. D. and G. Obermair, "Polaritons at surfaces," Phys. Rev., 834-844, 1969.
14. Simovski, C. R., S. He, and M. M. Popov, "On the dielectric properties of thin molecular or composite layers," Phys. Rev., 13718-13725, 2000.
15. Simovski, C. R. and B. Sauviac, "On the bulk averaging approach for obtaining the effective parameters of thin magnetic granular films," European Phys. J.: Applied physics, Vol. 17, No. 1, 12-20, 2002.
16. Tretyakov, S. A. and P. A. Belov, "Resonant reflection from dipole arrays located very near to conducting planes," J. of Electromagnetic Waves Applic., No. 1, 129-143, 2002.
17. Simovski, C. R., S. A. Tretyakov, A. H. Sihvola, and M. Popov, "On the surface effect in thin molecular or composite layers," European Phys. J.: Applied physics, Vol. 9, No. 1, 195-203, 2000.
18. Simovski, C. R., E. Verney, S. Zouhdi, and A. Fourrier-Lamer, "Homogenization of planar bianisotropic arrays on the dielectric interface," Electromagnetics, No. 3, 177-189, 2002.
19. Prosvirnin, S. L. and S. Zouhdi, "Multi-layered arrays of conducting strips: switchable photonic band gap structures," Int. J. Electron. Commun. (AEU), No. 4, 260-265, 2001.
20. Grimes, C. A., "Permeability of granular materials," Formal Aspects of Electrodynamics, 1993.
21. Prosvirnin, S. L., S. A. Tretyakov, T. D. Vasilyeva, A. Fourrier- Lamer, and S. Zouhdi, "Analysis of reflection and transmission of electromagnetic waves in complex layered media," J. of Electromagnetic Waves Applic., No. 6, 807-826, 2000.
22. de Wolf, D. A., Essentials of Electromagnetics for Engineering, 378-380, 378-380, Cambridge University Press, 2001.