A fast and efficient method for analyzing an inset dielectric guide is presented using the Fourier transform technique with a modified perfectly matched boundary. In order to deal with an open region, a novel idea, modified perfectly matched boundary condition (PMB), has been proposed. By introducing the modified PMB, the numerical integral has been avoided and the accuracy of the numerical solution has been improved. Moreover, the singular behavior of the fields at metal edge is taken into account in the analysis. The numerical examples are shown that the convergence of the solution is very fast and the relative error less than 0.07% is attained even if only the first term is considered in the field expansion of the guide. The numerical results of the propagation constants for single- and double-layered inset dielectric guides agree well with those of literatures.
2. Rozzi, T. and S. J. Hedges, "Rigorous analysis and network modeling of the inset dielectric guide," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 35, No. 9, 823-834, Sept. 1987.
3. Hedes, S. and T. Rozzi, "The loss analysis of inset dielectric guide including bending loss and a comparison with image line," Proc. 17th European Microwave Conf., 933-938, 1987.
4. Ma, L., S. R. Pennock, and T. Rozzi, "Linear arrays realized in IDG," IEE Coloquium Components for Novel Transmission Lines, Dig. No. 1990/048, London, March 26, 1990.
5. Gelsthorpe, R. V., et al., "Dielectric waveguide: A lowcost technology for millimeter wave integrated circuits," Radio Electron. Eng., Vol. 52, No. 11/12, 552-528, Nov./Dec. 1982.
6. Rozzi, T. and L. Ma, "Mode compleleteness, normalization and Green’s function of the inset dielectric guide," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 36, No. 3, 542-551, Mar. 1988.
7. Zhou, W. and T. Itoh, "Analysis of trapped image guide using effective dielectric constant and surface impedances," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 30, No. 12, 2163-2166, Dec. 1982.
8. Rozzi, T., S. R. Pennock, and D. Boscovic, "Dispersion characteristics of coupled inset dielectric guides," Proc. 20th European Microwave Conf., 1175-1180, 1990.
9. Pennock, S. R., D. M. Boskovia, and T. Rozzi, "Analysis of coupled inset dielectric guide under LSE and LSM polarization," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 40, No. 5, 916-924, May 1992.
10. Pennock, S. R., N. Izzat, and T. Rozzi, "Very wideband operation of twin-layer inset dielectric guide," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 40, No. 10, 1910-1917, Oct. 1992.
11. Ma, Z. and E. Yamashita, "Accurate analysis of inset dielectric guide structures using an efficient mode-matching method," Proc. 6th Int. Symp. on RAMT., 102-105, 1997.
12. Shen, Z. and R. H. Macphie, "Modeling of a monopole partially buried in a grounded dielectric substrate by the modal expansion method," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 44, 1535-1536, Nov. 1996.
13. Mittra, R. and S. W. Lee, Analytical Techniques in the Theory of Guided Waves, Macmillan, New York.
14. Gradshteyn, I. S. and I. M. Ryshik, Table of Integrals, Series and Products, Academic Press, New York, 1965.
15. Jia, H., K. Yoshitomi, and K. Yasumoto, "Rigorous analysis of rectangular waveguide junctions by Fourier transform technique," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 20, 261-280, 1998.