In this paper, the scanning characteristics of an infinite stacked microstrip phased array in a three-layered structure are analysed. In the analysis of the field distribution, the spectral-domain Galerkin Method of Moments together with the planar dyadic Green's function is applied. An attachment mode current is employed to model the singularity of currents nearby the feed point so as to facilitate the fast convergence. The currents on all patches are expanded in terms of the trigonometric basis and weighting functions in the entire domain. The normalized patterns of the infinite microstrip array are computed in this paper and the scanning features of the antenna against the scanning angle and frequency are discussed in both the E- and H-planes.
2. Barlatey, L., J. R. Mosig, and T. Sphicopoulos, "Analysis of stacked microstrip patches with a mixed potential integral equation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 38, 608-615, May 1990.
3. Tulintseff, A. N., S. M. Ali, and J. A. Kong, "Input impedance of a probe-fed stacked circular microstrip antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 39, No. 3, 381-390, 1991.
4. Lubin, Y. and A. Hessel, "Wide-band, wide-angle microstrip stacked-patch-element phased array," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 39, 1062-1070, August 1991.
5. Damiano, J. P. and A. Papiernik, "Survey of analytical numerical models for probe-fed microstrip antennas," IEE Proc. Microwave Antennas Propagat., Vol. 141, No. 1, 15-22, Feb. 1994.
6. Liu, Z.-F., P.-S. Kooi, L.-W. Li, M.-S. Leong, and T.-S. Yeo, "A Method for designing broadband microstrip antennas in multilayered planar structures," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 47, No. 9, September 1999.
7. Aberle, J. T. and D. M. Pozar, "Analysis of infinite arrays of one- and two-probe-fed circular patches," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 38, No. 4, 381-390, 1990.
8. Aberle, J. T. and D. M. Pozar, "Analysis of infinite array of probe-fed rectangular microstrip patches using a rigorous feed model," IEE Proc. Microwave Antennas Propagat., Vol. 136, No. 2, 100-119, April 1989.
9. Aberle, J. T., D. M. Pozar, and J. Manges, "Phased arrays of probe-fed stacked microstrip patches," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 42, No. 7, 920-927, July 1994.
10. Aberle, J. T. and D. M. Pozar, "Accurate and versatile solutions for probe-fed microstrip patch antennas and arrays," Electromagnetics, Vol. 11, 1-19, 1991.
11. Vandenbosch, G. A. E. and A. R. Van De Capelle, "Reduction of coaxial feed between two parallel conductors into finite number of voltage source," Electro. Lett., Vol. 27, No. 25, 2387-2389, December 1991.
12. Itoh, T., "Spectral domain immittance approach for dispersion characteristics of generalized printed transmission lines," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 28, 733-736, 1980.
13. Itoh, T. (ed.), Planar Transmission Line Structures, IEEE Press, New York, 1987.
14. Itoh, T., Numerical Techniques for Microwave and Millimeter- Wave Passive Structures, John Wiley & Sons Inc., New York, 1989.
15. Mirshekar-Syahkal, D., Spectral Domain Method for Microwave Integrated Circuits, John Wiley & Sons Inc., New York, 1990.
16. Liu, Z.-F., "Design of wideband microstrip antennas and analysis of multilayered phased arrays,", Ph.D. dissertation, Beijing Institute of Technology, 1996, available in Beijing Library, China.