This paper presents an efficient analysis of a microstrip antenna in multilayered media using the method of moments (MoM). The general forms of spectral-domain Green’s functions for multilayered media are converted into the spatial-domain Green’s functions using the discrete complex image method (DCIM). With the spatial-domain Green’s functions, the mixed potential integral equation (MPIE) is discretized in spatial domain, and the resultant system of equations is then solved using the biconjugate gradient (BCG) method. As applications, resonant frequencies of microstrip antennas in multilayered media are analysed. The numerical results show that the present method is an efficient and accurate scheme for analysing microstrip antennas in multilayered media.
2. Taflove, A., Computional Electromagentics: The Finite-Difference Time-Domain Method, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 1995.
3. Harrington, R. F., Field Computation in Electromagnetics, Wiley, New York, 1993.
4. Mosig, J. R., "Arbitrarily shaped microstrip structures and their analysis with a mixed potential integral equation," IEEE Trans. Microwave TheoryT ech., Vol. 36, 314-323, Feb. 1988.
5. Chew, W. C., Waves and Fields in Inhomogeneous Media, Van Nostrand, New York, 1990.
6. Fang, D. G., J. J. Yang, and G. Y. Delisle, "Discrete image theory for horizontal electric dipoles in a multilayered medium above a conducting ground plane," Proc. Inst. Elec. Eng., Vol. 135, 297-303, 1988.
7. Chow, Y. L., J. J. Yang, D. G. Fang, and G. Y. Delisle, "A Close-form spatial Green’s function for the thick microstrip substrate," IEEE Trans. Microwave TheoryT ech., Vol. 39, 588-592, Mar. 1991.
8. Kipp, R. A. and C. H. Chan, "Complex image method for sources in bounded region of multiplayer," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 42, 860-865, May 1994.
9. Akson, M. I., "A robust approach for the derivation of closed-form Green’s function," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 44, 651-658, May 1996.
10. Jin, J. M. and J. L. Volakis, "A biconjugate gradient solution for scattering by plane plates," Electromagn., Vol. 12, 105-119, 1992.
11. Lanczos, C., "An iteration method for the solution of the eigenvalue problem of linear differential and integral operators," J. Res. Nat. Bur. Stand., Vol. 45, 255-282, 1950.
12. Smith, C. F., A. F. Peterson, and R. Mittra, "The biconjugate gradient method for electromagnetic scattering," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 38, 1530-1536, Oct. 1990.
13. Wang, C. F., F. Ling, and J. M. Jin, "A fast full-wave analysis of scattering and radiation from large finite arrays of microstrip antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 46, 1467-1474, Oct. 1998.
14. Ling, F., D. Jiao, and J. M. Jing, "Efficient electromagnetic modelling of microstrip structures in multilayer media," IEEE Trans. Microwave TheoryT ech., Vol. 47, 1810-1818, Sept. 1999.
15. Bailey, M. C. and M. D. Deshpande, "Integral equation formulation of microstrip antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 30, 651-656, July 1982.
16. Vandensande, J., H. Pues, and A. Van de Capelle, "Calculation of the bandwidth of microstrip resonator antennas," Proceedings of European Microwave Conference, 116-119, 1979.
17. Bahl, I. J., P. Bhartia, and S. S. Stuchly, "Design of microstrip antennas covered with a dielectric layer," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 30, 314-318, Mar. 1982.
18. Shen, X. H., G. A. E. Vandenbosch, and A. R. V. D. Capelle, "Study of gain enhancement method for Microstrip antenna using moment method," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 43, 227-231, Mar. 1995.