The spectral structure of the reflected and transmitted fields due to a three dimensional electromagnetic X-wave incident on a planar air-dielectric interface is examined. Using a novel superposition of azimuthally dependent pulsed plane waves, it is shown that for oblique incidence the reflected pulse has a localized wave structure. On the other hand, the transmitted field maintains its localization up to a certain distance from the interface beyond which it starts disintegrating. A study of the effects of polarization on the amplitudes of the reflected and transmitted wave fields is presented.
2. Ziolkowski, R. W., "Exact solutions of the wave equation with complex source locations," J. Math. Phys, Vol. 26, 861-863, 1985.
3. Besieris, I. M., A. M. Shaarawi, and R. W. Ziolkowski, "A bidirectional traveling plane wave representation of exact solutions of the scalar wave equation," J. Math. Phys., Vol. 30, 1254-1269, 1989.
4. Lu, J. Y. and J. F. Greenleaf, "Nondiffracting X waves — exact solutions to free space scalar wave equation and their finite aperture realization," IEEE Trans. Ultrason. Ferroelec. Freq. Contr., Vol. 39, 19-31, 1992.
5. Ziolkowski, R. W., I. M. Besieris, and A. M. Shaarawi, "Aperture realizations of the exact solutions to homogeneous-wave equations," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 10, 75-87, 1993.
6. Recami, E., "On the localized ‘X-shaped’ superluminal solutions to Maxwell’s equations," Physica A, Vol. 252, 586-610, 1998.
7. Besieris, I., M. Abdel-Rahman, A. Shaarawi, and A. Chatzipetros, "Two fundamental representations of localized pulse solutions of the scalar wave equation," Progress in Electromagnetics Research (PIER), Vol. 19, 1-48, 1998.
8. Shaarawi, A. M., "Comparison of two localized wavefields generated from dynamic apertures," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 14, 1804-1816, 1997.
9. Ziolkowski, R. W., D. K. Lewis, and B. D. Cook, "Experimental verification of the localized wave transmission effect," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 62, 147-150, 1989.
10. Lu, J. Y. and J. F. Greenleaf, "Experimental verification of nondiffracting X waves," IEEE Trans. Ultrason. Ferroelec. Freq. Contr., Vol. 39, 441-446, 1992.
11. Saari, P. and K. Reivelt, "Evidence of X-shaped propagationinvariant localized light waves," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 21, 4135-4138, 1997.
12. Power, D., R. Donnelly, and R. MacIsaac, "Spherical scattering of superpositions of localized waves," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 48, 1410-1417, 1993.
13. Lu, J. Y., M. Fatemi, and J. F. Greenleaf, "Pulsed-echo imaging with X wave," Acoust. Imag., P. Tortoli and L. Masotti (Eds.), Vol. 22, 191–196, 1996.
14. Hillion, P., "How do focus wave modes propagate across a discontinuity in a medium?," Optik, Vol. 93, 67-72, 1993.
15. Donnelly, R. and D. Power, "The behavior of electromagnetic localized waves at a planar interface," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 45, 580-591, 1997.
16. Shaarawi, A. M., I. M. Besieris, A. M. Attiya, and E. El-Diwany, "Acoustic X-wave reflection and transmission at a planar interface: spectral analysis," J. Acoust. Soc. Am., Vol. 107, 70-86, 2000.
17. Attiya, A. M., E. El-Diwany, A. M. Shaarawi, and I. M. Besieris, "Reflection and transmission of electromagnetic X-waves in the presence of planarly layered media: The pulsed plane wave representation," submitted to J. Electromagn. Waves Appl..
18. Fagerholm, J., A. T. Friberg, J. Huttunen, D. P. Morgan, and M. M. Salomaa, "Angular-spectrum representation of nondiffracting X waves," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 54, 4347-4352, 1996.
19. Friberg, A. T., J. Fagerholm, and M. M. Salomaa, "Space-frequency analysis of nondiffracting pulses," Opt. Comm., Vol. 136, 207-212, 1997.
20. Shaarawi, A. M., R. W. Ziolkowski, and I. M. Besieris, "On the evanescent fields and the causality of the focus wave modes," J. Math. Phys., Vol. 36, 5565-5587, 1995.
21. Shaarawi, A. M., I. M. Besieris, R. W. Ziolkowski, and S. M. Sedky, "Generation of approximate focus wave mode pulses from wide-band dynamic Gaussian aperture," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 12, 1954-1964, 1995.
22. Born, M. and E. Wolf, Principles of Optics, Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1989.
23. Hafizi, B. and P. Sprangle, "Diffraction effects in directed radiation beams," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 8, 705-717, 1991.
24. Sedky, S. M., A. M. Shaarawi, F. M. Taiel, and I. M. Besieris, "On the diffraction length of localized waves generated by dynamic apertures," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 13, 1719-1727, 1996.