Modeling of long range propagation of collimated wavepackets poses some major difficulties with the conventional FDTD scheme. The difficulties arise from the vast computer resources needed to discretize the entire region of interest and the accumulation of numerical dispersion error. As a means for circumventing these difficulties, the moving frame FDTD approach is in this work. In this approach, the computational grid size is limited to the order of the pulse length, and it and moves along with the pulse. The issues discussed in conjunction with this method are those of numerical dispersion, which is shown to be reduced substantially compared with the stationary formulation, numerical stability, and absorbing boundary conditions at the leading, trailing and side boundaries, Numerical results of pulsed beam propagation in both homogeneous and plane stratified media are shown, and the capability of the method is demonstrated with propagation distances exceeding the order of 104 pulse lengths.
2. Ziolkowski, R. W., "Exact solutions of the wave equation with complex locations," J. Math. Phys., Vol. 26, 861-863, 1985.
3. Besieris, I. M., A. M. Shaarawi, and R. W. Ziolkowski, "A bidirectional traveling plane wave representation of exact solutions of the scalar wave equation," J. Math. Phys., Vol. 30, 1254-1269, 1989.
4. Moses, H. E. and R. T. Prosser, "Acoustic and electromagnetic bullets. New exact solutions of the acoustic and Maxwell’s equation," SIAM J. Appl. Math., Vol. 50, 1325-1340, 1990.
5. Heyman, E. and L. B. Felsen, "Complex-source pulsed-beam fields," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 6, No. 6, 806-816, 1989.
6. Heyman, E., B. Z. Steinberg, and R. Ianconescu, "Electromagnetic complex source pulsed beam fields," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 38, 957-963, 1990.
7. Heyman, E., "Pulsed beam propagation in inhomogeneous medium," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 42, 311-319, 1994.
8. Yee, K. S., "Numerical solution of initial boundary value problems involving Maxwell’s equations in isotropic media," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 14, 302-307, 1966.
9. Taflove, A., Computational Electrodynamics, The Finite Difference Time-Domain Method, Artech House, Boston, 1995.
10. Shlager, K. L. and J. B. Schneider, "A selective survey of the finite-difference time-domain literature," IEEE Antennas Propagat. Magazine, Vol. 37, No. 4, 39-56, 1995.
11. Engquist, B. and A. Majda, "Absorbing boundary conditions for the numerical simulation of waves," Mathematics of Computation, Vol. 31, 629-651, 1977.
12. Mur, G., "Absorbing boundary conditions for the finite-difference approximation of the time-domain electromagnetic-field equations," IEEE Trans. Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 23, 377-382, 1989.
13. Higdon, R. L., "Absorbing boundary conditions for difference approximations to the multi-dimensional wave equation," Mathematics of Computation, Vol. 47, 437-459, 1986.
14. Higdon, R. L., "Numerical absorbing boundary conditions for the wave equation," Mathematics of Computation, Vol. 49, 65-90, 1987.
15. Fidel, B., E. Heyman, R. Kastner, and R. W. Ziolkowski, "Hybrid ray-FDTD moving window approach to pulse propagation," Proc. of the 1994 International IEEE/AP-S Symposium, 1414-1417, Seattle, WA, 1994.
16. Fidel, B., E. Heyman, R. Kastner, and R. W. Ziolkowski, "Hybrid ray-FDTD moving frame approach to pulse propagation," J. Comp. Phys., Vol. 138, 480-500, 1997.
17. Hile, C. V. and W. L. Kath, "Numerical solutions of Maxwell’s equations for nonlinear-optical pulse propagation," J. Opt. Soc. Am. B, Vol. 13, No. 6, 1135-1145, 1996.
18. Pemper, Y., E. Heyman, R. Kastner, and R. W. Ziolkowski, "Hybrid ray-FDTD moving coordinate frame approach for long range tracking of pulsed fields in graded index waveguides," J. Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 38, 957-963, 1990.
19. Lee, D. and A. D. Pierce, "Parabolic equation development in recent decade," J. Comput. Aconst., Vol. 3, No. 2, 95-173, 1995.
20. Jensen, F. B., W. A. Kuperman, M. B. Porter, and H. Schmidt, Computational Ocean Acoustics, AIP Press, Woodbury, NY, 1994.
21. Murphy, J. E., "Finite-difference treatment of a time-domain parabolic equation: Theory," J. Acoust. Soc. Am., Vol. 77, No. 5, 1406-1417, 1985.
22. Masoudi, H. M. and J. M. Arnold, "Parallel beam propagation methods," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., Vol. 6, No. 7, 848-850, 1994.
23. Masoudi, H. M. and J. M. Arnold, "Parallel beam propagation method for the analysis of second harmonic generation," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., Vol. 7, No. 4, 400-402, 1995.
24. McDonald, B. E. and W. A. Kuperman, "Time domain formulation for pulse propagation including nonlinear behavior at a caustic," J. Aconst. Soc. Am., Vol. 81, No. 5, 1406-1417, 1987.
25. Aloni, E., R. Kastner, E. Heyman, and R. W. Ziolkowski, "Reduction of numerical dispersion errors in the FDTD with multiple moving coordinate systems," URSI Meeting, Baltimore, MD, July 21–26, 1996.