This paper presents a high gain Fabry-Perot antenna with radar cross section (RCS) reduction property. A receiver-transmitter metasurface is designed and used as the partially reflective surface (PRS) of the antenna to realize high gain and wideband RCS reduction. Firstly, the working principle of the unit cell is similar to the reception and radiation of two patch antennas. The unit cell is designed to present high reflectivity through tuning the impedance matching between two patches. This can ensure that the antenna obtains high gain. Then, the ground plane in the middle makes the reflection phase from different sides of the unit cell be tuned independently. Two unit cells with same reflection phase from the bottom side and 180° reflection phase difference from the top side are obtained through tuning the size of the transmitter patch. With the improved chessboard arrangement of these two unit cells, the incident wave can be scattered into many directions. So the metasurface presents a good RCS reduction property. More importantly, thanks to the high reflectivity of the metasurface, almost all the electromagnetic waves from the outside are reflected and rarely enter the cavity. Therefore, the antenna achieves good in band RCS reduction. The measured results of the fabricated antenna agree well with the simulated ones, which verify the correctness of the design. The antennas reaches the maximum gain of 18.2 dBi at 10 GHz. Wideband RCS reduction and good in band RCS reduction are also obtained by the antenna.
2. Huang, C., W. Pan, X. Ma, and X. Luo, "Wideband radar cross section reduction of a stacked patch array antenna using metasurface," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 14, 1369-1372, 2015.
3. Krishnamoorthy, K., B. Majumder, J. Mukherjee, and K. P. Ray, "Low RCS and polarization reconfigurable antenna using cross slot based metasurface," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 14, 1638-1641, 2015.
4. Liu, Y., Y. Hao, K. Li, and S. Gong, "Wideband and polarization independent radar cross section reduction using holographic metasurface," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 15, 1028-1031, 2016.
5. Hong, T., S. Wang, Z. Liu, and S. Gong, "RCS reduction and gain enhancement for the circularly polarized array by polarization conversion metasurface coating," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 18, No. 1, 167-171, 2019.
6. Zhang, W., Y. Liu, S. Gong, J. Wang, and Y. Jiang, "Wideband RCS reduction of a slot array antenna using phase gradient metasurface," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 17, No. 12, 2193-2197, Dec. 2018.
7. Tran, X. L., J. Vesely, and F. Dvorak, "Optimization of nonuniform linear antenna array topology," Information and Communication Technologies and Services, Vol. 16, No. 3, 341-349, Sep. 2018.
8. Zakaria, Y. and L. Ivanek, "Propagation modelling of path loss models for wireless communication in urban and rural environments at 1800 GSM frequency band," Information and Communication Technologies and Services, Vol. 14, No. 2, 139-144, Jun. 2016.
9. Zhuang, Y., G. Wang, J. Liang, T. Cai, X. Tang, T. Guo, and Q. Zhang, "Random combinatorial gradient metasurface for broadband wide-angle and polarization independent difusion scattering," Scientific Reports, Vol. 7, 16560, Nov. 2017.
10. Kim, S. H. and Y. J. Yoon, "Wideband radar cross-section reduction on checkerboard metasurfaces with surface wave suppression," IEEE IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 18, No. 5, 896-900, 2019.
11. Lu, Y., J. Su, J. Liu, Q. Guo, H. Yin, Z. Li, and J. Song, "Ultrawideband monostatic and bistatic RCS reductions for both copolarization and cross polarization based on polarization conversion and destructive interference," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 67, No. 7, 4936-4941, Jul. 2019.
12. Li, Y., J. Zhang, S. Qu, J. Wang, H. Chen, Z. Xu, and A. Zhang, "Wideband radar cross section reduction using two-dimensional phase gradient metasurfaces," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 104, 221110, 2014.
13. Zhuang, Y., G. Wang, T. Cai, and Q. Zhang, "Design of bifunctional metasurface based on independent control of transmission and reflection," Optics Express, Vol. 26, No. 3, 3594-3603, Feb. 2018.
14. Song, Y., J. Ding, C. Guo, Y. Ren, and J. Zhang, "Ultra broadband backscatter radar cross section reduction based on polarization insensitive metasurface," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 15, 329-331, 2016.
15. Joshi, A. and R. Singhal, "Vertex-fed hexagonal antenna with low cross-polarization levels," Information and Communication Technologies and Services, Vol. 17, No. 2, 138-145, Jun. 2019.
16. Mishra, B., V. Singh, and R. Singh, "Gap coupled dual-band petal shape patch antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications,", Vol. 16, No. 2, 185-198, Jun. 2018.
17. Zhang, L., X. Wan, S. Liu, J. Yin, Q. Zhang, H. Wu, and T. Cui, "Realization of low scattering for a high-gain Fabry-Perot antenna using coding metasurface," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 65, No. 7, 3374-3383, Jul. 2017.
18. Zheng, Y., J. Gao, Y. Zhou, X. Cao, H. Yang, S. Li, and T. Li, "Wideband gain enhancement and RCS reduction of Fabry-Perot resonator antenna with chessboard arranged metamaterial superstrate," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 66, No. 2, 590-599, Feb. 2018.
19. Li, K., Y. Liu, Y. Jia, and Y. J. Guo, "A circularly polarized high gain antenna with low RCS over a wideband using chessboard polarization conversion metasurfaces," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 65, No. 8, 4288-4292, Aug. 2017.
20. Ren, J., W. Jiang, K. Zhang, and S. Gong, "A high-gain circularly polarized fabry-perot antenna with wideband low-RCS property," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 17, No. 5, 853-856, May 2018.
21. Long, M., W. Jiang, and S. Gong, "Wideband RCS reduction using polarization conversion metasurface and partially reflecting surface," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 16, 2534-2537, 2017.
22. Zhou, Y., X. Cao, J. Gao, S. Li, and Y. Zheng, "In-band RCS reduction and gain enhancement of a dual-band PRMS-antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 16, 2716-2720, 2017.
23. Zhang, L., C. Liu, C. Ni, M. Kong, and X. Wu, "Low-RCS, circular polarization, and high-gain broadband antenna based on mirror polarization conversion metasurfaces," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2019, 6098483, Aug. 2019.
24. Ge, Y., Z. Sun, Z. Chen, and Y. Chen, "A high-gain wideband low-profile Fabry-Perot resonator antenna with a conical short horn," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 15, 1889-1892, 2016.
25. Sharmaa, A., D. Gangwarb, B. K. Kanaujiac, and S. Dwari, "Gain enhancement and RCS reduction of CP patch antenna using partially reflecting and absorbing metasurface," Electromagnetics, 2019.
26. Xie, P., G. Wang, H. Li, J. Liang, and X. Gao, "Circularly polarized Fabry-Perot antenna employing a receiver-transmitter polarization conversion metasurface," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 68, No. 4, 3213-3218, 2020.
27. Trentini, G. V., "Partially reflecting sheet arrays," IEEE Trans. Antenna Propag., Vol. 4, No. 4, 666-671, Oct. 1956.
28. Foroozesh, A. and L. Shafai, "Investigation into the effects of the reflection phase characteristics of highly-reflective superstrates on resonant cavity antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, 3392-3396, Oct. 2010.